[KS] Re Correcting the Record

Don Baker ubcdbaker at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:13:57 EDT 2016

There is nothing amiss about my record of the episode. Eyewitness accounts and a government investigation over a decade later make clear that Chun's troops, who were primarily special forces troops trained to fight behind North Korean lines, began killing unarmed demonstrators on May 18 (They had been told that Kwangju had been infiltrated by North Korean agents.) The first officially recognized fatality was a deaf man who was shot and killed on May 18 when he didn't heed a call to stop which he couldn't hear.
Don Kirk's story doesn't explain why the people in Kwangju grabbed weapons on May 21st, chased the military from the provincial capital building to the outskirts of town (The citizens' militia had placed a couple of machine guns on the roof of the hospital overlooking the provincial capital building), and demanded that Chun step down and that the government in Seoul apologize for killing so many innocent people.
The whole incident began with only about 200 to 300 students gathering at the front gate of the closed Chunnam University on Sunday morning, May 18. Those peaceful protestors were attacked with clubs by Chun's special forces. Later that day those same troops chased demonstrators on the streets of downtown Kwangju. In some cases, their clubs had been replaced by bayonets.  It was the sight of unarmed people being maimed and killed that made so many people in Kwangju angry enough to seize weapons and begin fighting back.
The time has long past for us to join with the South Korean government in recognizing that the resistance to Chun's coup in Kwangju (the only place that resisted it at the time) was a true democratization movement and deserves both our respect and an accurate recounting of what happened those days in May, 1980, starting with May 18.

Don Baker ProfessorDepartment of Asian Studies University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z2 don.baker at ubc.ca