[KS] RAS Korea program for October

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Sep 30 02:22:25 EDT 2016

Members of this list who are in Seoul are welcome to join our activities

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming lectures
October 11 Alastair Gale: South Korea's Lost Decade
October 25 Pierre-Emmanuel Roux: The Foreign Disturbance of 1866
November 8 A conversation with Krys Lee, author of “How I Became a North Korean”
November 22 Andy Tebay and Nikola Medimorec: From the First Tram to Korea’s Modern Day Transport System
December 13 Byung Joon Jung and Vladimir Hlasny: Paradise lost of two Korean Americans: Alice Hyun and Wellington Chung, crushed by cold war regimes

Upcoming excursions
Monday October 3 Korea's Native Faiths and Gods including a visit to the Tangun Shrine (Jun Shin)
October 8 - 9 A Journey into Korea's Scenic South: Tongyoung, Hallyo Sudo (waterway) and Geojedo (Sue Bae)
Saturday October 15 Walking in the Hongdae area (Jon Dunbar)
Saturday October 22 Cultural and Scenic Splendor of Eastern Jiri-san (David Mason)
Sunday October 23 Cheong-Pyeong Boat Excursion (Sue Bae)
Joseon Seoul (Peter Bartholomew)
October 29 – 30  Seoraksan foliage (Sue Bae)
Sunday October 30 Ganghwa Island exactly 150 years after the French invasion of 1866 (Pierre-Emmanuel Roux / Br Anthony, topic of October 25 lecture)
November 5 – 6 Land of Exile: Haenam and Gangjin (Brother Anthony)

Business and Culture Club
Tuesday, October 18 12 noon https://www.facebook.com/events/1808566506043083/

Reading Club
Monday October 10 at 7pm. We will be reading "The Young Zelkova" by Kang Sinjae.
We meet in the library of the Jongno District Office. jsut behind the American embassu, usually at 7pm on the first Monday of the month. https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

National Museum of Korea
Wednesday November 2, 2016, 7pm
We will have a guided tour of the Museum’s Thematic Exhibition: Joseon : The Movable Type Dynasty
Please sign up through the RAS home page “Clubs and Groups: National Museum” if you intend to come