[KS] Hangul question: original graphic distinction between eo (Yale e) and arae ae (Yale oy)

John Armstrong johna318 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 20:43:10 EDT 2017

Thanks for your comments Bob.

I'm working my way through Gari Ledyard's thesis and I’ve read his translation of the haeryae and his commentary on it as well as his account of the Dongguk Jeongun.  The breadth and depth of his knowledge and the incisiveness of his analyses are truly impressive. His thesis is a masterpiece of scholarship.

He calls out the aspects of the Dongguk Jeongun readings that he regards as artificial, and I accept them all.  I am primarily interested in the vowels, and I believe that the only artificial features relating to them that he mentions are: (a) the rimes in –Vmh and (b) the rimes beginning with certain complex glides or “medials” that include both y and w elements.  Apart from these features I believe the vowels of the Dongguk Jeongun are the same as the vowels in “Eastern sounds” readings which were in use before the DJ was published and came back into use again after the brief hiatus when the DJ readings were accepted as standard.

I believe this is the position of Sinhang Kang as summarized in his chapter “The Vowel System of the Korean Alphabet and Korean Readings of Chinese Characters” in Young-Key Kim-Renaud, The Korean Alphabet: Its History and Structure (UHP, 1997).

If I had a simple way of looking at the prescribed Dongguk Jeongun and actual “Eastern Sounds” readings (perhaps as represented by the Choe Sejin dictionary that you mention) of a large set of characters (including characters from all Chinese rime classes) side by side and seeing where they differed, I would have all the information I want in front of me, but as it is I don’t have such a list.  Has anyone compiled such a list or, equivalently, identified all the characters or sets of characters that have different readings in the two systems?  (I'm interested in vowels but it would include both consonants and vowels.)

Such a list would also reveal the relative counts of characters with ae (Yale ay) vs. arae ae (Yale oy) readings in the two systems, which might shed light on the apparent strong preference for arae ae readings in the pre-reform spelling that Underwood follows in his books.

-- John