[KS] Crafting a Sovereign People: Constitutional Founding in Korea and Japan after WWII (Stanford University, February 3, 2017)

Frank Joseph Shulman fshulman at umd.edu
Fri Jan 27 01:53:03 EST 2017

Friday, February 3, 2017

Crafting a Sovereign People: Constitutional Founding in Korea and
Japan after WWII

Co-sponsored by the Japan Program and the Korea Program

Chaihark Hahm, Professor of Law, Yonsei University School of Law

Stanford University

A constitution is commonly seen as the definitive expression of the
sovereign will of ‘We the People.’ But, who are those sovereign
people, and how does one identify them? Can we equate the Korean or
Japanese ethnic nation with the sovereign people of those countries?
Further, when the constitution is drafted under overbearing foreign
influence, as was the case in postwar Japan and postcolonial Korea,
can we really say that the people are sovereign? And if the new
constitution fails to categorically reject the evils of the past, as
is often claimed to be the case in Korea and Japan, is the project of
constitutional founding somehow compromised? Using the historical
experience of these two countries, Prof. Hahm will engage in a
reflection on the soundness of the theoretical framework that informs
our thinking about the relationship between popular sovereignty and
constitution making.

12:00p.m. – 1:30p.m. – RSVP required by February 2

Philipines Conference Room
Encina Hall, 3rd floor, Central
For more information contact Ms. Meiko Kotani

SOURCE: "Shorenstein APARC Events for the Week of January 31": posting
on January 26, 2017 by
Ms. Debbie Warren
Center Event Coordinator
Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center
Stanford University
Encina Hall, Room E301
Stanford, CA 94305-6055
650-723-8387 (t)
650-723-6530 (f)
dawarren at stanford.edu
aparc.fsi.stanford.edu

--
Frank Joseph Shulman
Bibliographer, Editor and Consultant for Reference Publications in Asian Studies
E-mail: fshulman at umd.edu