[KS] IUC for Advanced Academic Korean 2017
duncan at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 10 12:23:43 EST 2017
Inter-University Center for Korean Language Studies at SKKU
2017 Academic Year for Advanced Academic Korean
1) Dates, Tuition, Housing
Spring: March 2 ? June 15, 2017 (16 weeks)
Summer: July 3 ? August 10, 2017 (6 weeks)
Fall: September 4 ? December 14, 2017 (16 weeks)
* The IUC academic year program consists of 4 eight-week Module Periods, two per semester. Module curricular content focuses on building basic academic vocabulary, developing presentation skills, and enhancing writing abilities.
* A separate intensive six-week program is provided during the summer break. The summer session is designed for three types of students: students needing to upgrade their skills before starting the fall semester; students seeking to build on what they have learned during the preceding spring semester; and students seek to brush up on their academic Korean abilities.
$ 5,000 per semester for students from IUC member universities
$ 7,500 per semester for students from non-member universities
For the Summer program, $2,500 for students from IUC member universities, $4,000 for students from non-member universities
Scholarships will be offered to a few applicants on a competitive basis and with consideration of applicants’ financial situation.
Applicants can apply for a scholarship that will be provided by the Korea Foundation (KF).
The KF Fellowship will provide financial support for two fellowship recipients who are selected for the 2017 academic year.
The fellowship includes tuition fees, dormitory fee, insurance coverage, and a monthly stipend of one million two hundred thousand Korean won (KRW 1,200,000￦) during their fellowship period(Total 10 months).
- Selection Procedure:
Applicants should indicate whether they want to be considered for a fellowship. The IUC Committee will review applications and send its recommendation to the Korea Foundation, then the KF will review the recommendations and notify its decision on approval to the committee. IUC students selected as to-be fellows should submit a letter of acceptance to the foundation a minimum of 7 days before the semester begins, or the fellowship will be canceled.
- Obligations of the Fellows:
The fellow shall submit a report to the foundation one month after the end of the semester. The fellows shall also report on their current position and research in Korean Studies to the foundation at least once a year for three years after the conclusion of the fellowship. For those who do not submit reports or do not respond to the Foundation’s inquiries regarding their current position and research, in the future the Foundation can refuse to provide any other KF grants, including fellowship programs.
If the applicant wishs, IUC will secure a SKKU international student dorm room(double-occupancy, meal s not included, but a communal kitchen is available) for a monthly fee of $400.
2) Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicants must have a certificate of level four or higher in their Korean language proficiency (TOPIK), or present evidence of equivalent Korean language proficiency (equivalent to completion of 4 years of Korean language instruction at the university level).
- Undergraduate university students who satisfy the above conditions can also apply
- Applicants will be given a simple translation test or writing tasks in Korean (provided and submitted via email).
- Applicants will be interviewed via Skype in Korean once their application has been submitted.
- Admission decision will be based on result of the Korean translation or writing tasks, Skype interview, TOPIK score and/or applicant’s track record in Korean language training. Applicants who apply for IUC scholarship are required to submit their CV with application form.
3) Application process and Admissions
- Deadlines of Application:
Spring: January 31, 2017
Summer: May 31, 2017
Fall: July 31, 2017
- Application requirements:
Submit the completed application (attached document) and the certificate of Korean language proficiency and/or transcript of Korean language courses to both iuckorea at skku.edu & iucskku at gmail.com.
Applications on Homepage (http://iuc.skku.edu)
- Admissions Decisions:
Successful applicants will be notified individually.
* If, after admittance, a student demonstrates a lack of ability to finish the program or lags seriously in language performance, the Center will require the student to take extra courses (ex. General SKKU language courses, tutoring, etc.)
More information about the Koreanstudies