[KS] June program of the RAS Korea

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Jun 2 01:34:09 EDT 2017

Members of this list are welcome at our activities, as follows

Br Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming lectures
(**)Wednesday, June 7, David Fields: A Mere Scrap of Paper: The 1882 Korean-American Treaty, Syngman Rhee, and the Division of Korea
Tuesday June 27 Viktoriya Kim: Re-visiting the 1937 deportation of ethnic Koreans to Central Asia
Tuesday, July 11 Eugene Y. Park: The Progeny of Fallen Royals: The Gaeseong Wang in Joseon Korea
Tuesday, July 18 Jin Y. Park: Women and Buddhism: Engaging Zen Master Kim Iryŏp

Upcoming Excursions
Saturday, June 3,  A walk through Yongsan: the complications of urban renewal (Jon Dunbar)
Saturday, June 17,  A Walk through Lower Seochon: Tongui-dong to Sajikdan (Jennifer Flimm)
Saturday, June 24  Promo Tour: Seosan (Veronica Kang, Seoul Gastro Tours)
July 8-9 East coast, Syngman Rhee and Kim Il-Sung houses (Steve Tharp)

****Visit to Baekdusan, Dandong, Shenyang, etc****
This summer we are organizing a 6-day visit to the summit of Baekdusan, to Dandong on the North Korean frontier, and to the ancient Manchu capital of Shenyang, leaving Seoul on June 30 and returning on July 5, guided in English and without any unwished-for shopping stops. The current price (less than 1.5 million won) can only be offered so long as cheap air tickets are available so if you are interested, please register at once! Please direct all inquiries to Tom Coyner at tomcoyner at gmail.com or 010-9099-6195.

Business and Culture Club
Tuesday, June 20 at 12 noon: Seoullo
Meets at midday on the 3rd Tuesday of each month to offer people working in central Seoul a short cultural experience. See this link for regular news and links to events https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasbusinessclub/

Reading Club
Monday, June 12 at 7:00 p.m. We will be reading "The Battle of Dragon with Dragon" by Sin Ch’ae-Ho
This group is intended to provide RAS members with a chance to discuss a work of Korean fiction (a short story. New members are most welcome! We meet in the library of the Jongno District Office. jsut behind the American embassu(usually at 7pm on the first Monday of the month). https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

Cuisine Club
This is a new RAS Group. Those wishing to come please sign up through the link in the RAS home page “Clubs & Groups”. The group will meet on a monthly basis, combining good food and good company. See FaceBook page “RASKB Cuisine Club” for indication on how to register. Space is limited, prior registration is required.

RAS Photography Workshops
Saturday,  June 3, 2:00 pm  Principles of Composition
Once again, the RAS is offering monthly Photo Workshops by long-term RAS member Tom Coyner. The participation donation, payable in cash at each workshop, is W60,000 with RASKB members receiving a W10,000 discount per workshop. For more details and required RSVPs, see Blue Dalmatian Photography on FaceBook and please contact Tom Coyner at tomcoyner at gmail.com and/or by phone at 010-9099-6195.

Seoul Colloquium on Korean Studies
Thursday, June 29 at 6 pm in Room 301 of the Asiatic Research Institute, Korea University, Jamie Jungmin Yoo: Networks of Disquiet:  Censorship and the Production of Literature in Eighteenth-Century Korea
This is a project organized jointly by the RAS and French School of Asian Studies, a monthly meeting where 2 Korean Studies scholars present their current research. It is especially designed to bring together people doing academic Korean Studies using English. Those interested should write to Brother Anthony ansonjae at gmail.com.

Bookstore & Library
Our office also houses our Library and serves as a bookstore, with many rare and interesting titles about Korea available, with a discount for RAS members. Our Library has some 3,000 titles related to Korea past and present. Please phone before visiting, to be sure there will be someone there.

Please sign up for our emailed Newsletters (domestic and overseas) through links in the Membership section of our home page www.raskb.com  and join / like our Facebook page and groups.