[KS] Ancient Asiatic Scripts in America - a research report

Byington, Mark Edward byington at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 8 14:46:18 EST 2017

Hello All,

Following up on my earlier response to John Ruskamp, I see that my predictions concerning reactions in Korea were realized even before I made them. Please see the news link below from Yonhap News:

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/03/05/0200000000AKR20170305061900004.HTML

A Korean independent researcher based in Chicago (Yu Kwang-ŏn) has interpreted John Ruskamp’s work to indicate that the glyphs found in various sites in North America were made by people of Shang, who were Dongyi people, whom he claims to be the ancestors of modern Koreans (or at least closely associated with them). This represents two major fallacies, the first being that the Shang were Dongyi (they were not) and the second that the Dongyi of Shang-Zhou times were the same as the later Han-period Dongyi (they were not). The implication here is that the people who made these glyphs were ancient Koreans. Beyond this, according to Mr. Yu, they also were the founders of Olmec civilization.

I suspect we will be hearing more about this in the Korean press.

Best,

Mark Byington