[KS] March activities of RAS Korea

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Mar 10 22:15:43 EST 2017

Members of this list who are in Korea might like to join in some of our activities

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming lectures
Tuesday, March 14, Professor Kathryn Weathersby: The Joint Communiqué of July 4, 1972: Korea’s First Agreement on Unification: What was behind it?
Tuesday, March 28,  Robert Fouser: The 386 Generation and the Quest for the “Good Country”

Upcoming Excursions
Saturday, April 1, 1:00pm to 4:00pm Gangnam (old) style (Jun Shin)
Sunday, April 2, 1:00pm to 5:00pm Exploring Korea University and Nearby Neighborhoods (Robert Fouser)
Sunday, April 9, 1:00pm to 5:00pm Exploring the Seoul Station Area (Robert Fouser)
Saturday, April 15, 8:30am to Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 2:15pm Petroglyphs and Other Ancient Remains of Ulsan (Chery; Magnant)
Sunday, April 22, 1:00pm to 5:00pm Exploring the Eastern Sections of Seoul Fortress Wall (Robert Fouser)
Saturday, April 29, 8:30am to 6:00pm Mungyeong Tea Bowl Festival (Jennifer Flinn)

Business and Culture Club
March 21: Seoul Station Overpass -- from Above (Jon Dunbar)
Meets at midday on the 3rd Tuesday of each month to offer people working in central Seoul a short cultural experience.
See this link for regular news and links to events https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasbusinessclub/

Reading Club
Monday, April 3 at 7:00 p.m. We will be reading "That Woman’s Autobiography" by Kim In-Suk
This group is intended to provide RAS members with a chance to discuss a work of Korean fiction (a short story) which they will have read in advance, as a way of deepening their understanding of Korea. New members are most welcome! We meet in the library of the Jongno District Office. jsut behind the American embassu, usually at 7pm on the first Monday of the month. https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

Seoul Colloquium on Korean Studies
Thursday March 30. 5:30 pm
This is a project organized jointly by the RAS and French School of Asian Studies, a monthly meeting where 2 Korean Studies scholars present their current research. It is especially designed to bring together people doing academic Korean Studies using English. Those interested should write to Brother Anthony ansonjae at gmail.com.

New Book
Brief Encounters: Early Reports of Korea by Westerners. Compiled and edited by Brother Anthony and Robert Neff. (Seoul Selection) A collection of 19th century accounts of short visits to Korea by early exporers, available from the RAS office at a discounted price for mmbers.

Bookstore & Library
Our office also houses our Library and serves as a bookstore, with many rare and interesting titles about Korea available, with a discount for RAS members. Please phone before visiting, to be sure there will be someone there.

Please sign up for our emailed Newsletters (domestic and overseas) through links in the Membership section of our home page www.raskb.com  and join / like our Facebook page and groups.