[KS] Korean War Film Publication Announcement

John Eperjesi john.eperjesi at gmail.com
Sun May 28 23:40:58 EDT 2017

Dear List Members,

My paper on representations of US air power and the massacre of Korean
civilians is in the new issue of the Journal of American Studies. I thought
it might be of interest to some folks here.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-american-studies/article/unending-korean-war-in-film-from-the-bridges-at-tokori-to-welcome-to-dongmakgol/AEE5600509C1BCF12A244B43BB575D4B

The Unending Korean War in Film: From The Bridges at Toko-Ri toWelcome to
Dongmakgol
Abstract: Korean War films from the US and South Korea provide one cultural
site through which scholar–teachers working in American studies, and the
humanities in general, can intervene in the unending Korean War. An
emergent peace movement has organized around term unending Korean War in
order to educate the public both about the history of the three-year period
of active combat, and about the repercussions of the fact that the
Armistice Agreement, signed on 27 July 1953, stopped the shooting but did
not end the war. In the US context, the Korean War is described as a
forgotten war. When the war is remembered, it has often been interpreted as
a limited, defensive, or static war – a war fought in the trenches – a
perspective that tends to occlude the air war. Through a comparative study
of the Hollywood film The Bridges at Toko-Ri (Mark Robson, 1954) and the
South Korean film Welcome to Dongmakgol (Park Kwang-hyun, 2005), I explore
conflicting ways of representing and remembering the air war: as limited to
an interdiction campaign in the former, as the cause of civilian casualties
in the latter. The friction that results from viewing Welcome to
Dongmakgol against
the grain of The Bridges at Toko-Ri provides one starting point for a
discussion of the unending Korean War, a discussion which has yet to appear
in the field of transnational American studies. My hope is that greater
understanding of the devastating air war can contribute to the struggle for
peace on the Korean peninsula.