[KS] IUC at SKKU: Application deadline looms, scholarship funding awaits
Ross.King at ubc.ca
Fri Jan 19 04:48:59 EST 2018
[please post to discussion list]
The Inter-University Center for Korean Language Studies at SKKU is now in its third year and can already boast of some remarkable successes in advancing the academic Korean language skills of a broad range of students and colleagues from around the world. It also offers instruction that cannot be found at garden variety 어학당s in Korea or North American university Korean language programs.
Alas, like so much of Korean Studies at the graduate level, the IUC is struggling to achieve a stable critical mass. With the application deadline for the spring term looming, we would like to see more applications from qualified applicants, and there is also still funding in the scholarships account for one or more qualified students.
Please see below for application details (and I'm pretty certain applications that are late by a few days will not be penalized if our friends at the IUC get a heads-up first), and please urge anybody you know you has the inclination, requisite eligibility, and flexibility in schedule to pursue this excellent opportunity from late February through mid-June.
Ross King (UBC) on behalf of the IUC at SKKU.
Inter-University Center for Korean Language Studies at SKKU 2018 Academic Year for Advanced Academic Korean
[Guidelines for Applicants]
Spring: February 26 – June 14, 2018
Summer: July 2 – August 9, 2018
Fall: September 3 – December 20, 2018
* The IUC academic year program consists of 4 eight-week Module Periods: two per semester. Curricular content focuses on building basic academic vocabulary, developing presentation skills, and enhancing writing abilities.
* A separate intensive six-week program is provided during the summer break. The summer session is designed for three types of students: students needing to upgrade their skills before starting the fall semester; students seeking to build on what they have learned during the preceding spring semester; and students seek to brush up on their academic Korean abilities.
2) Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicants must have a certificate of level four or higher in their Korean language proficiency (TOPIK), or present evidence of equivalent Korean language proficiency (equivalent to completion of 4 years of Korean language instruction at the university level).
- Undergraduate university students who satisfy the above conditions can also apply
- Applicants will be given a simple translation test or writing tasks in Korean (provided and submitted via email).
- Applicants will be interviewed via Skype in Korean once their application has been submitted.
- Admissions decisions will be based on the results of the Korean translation or writing tasks, Skype interview, TOPIK score and/or applicant’s track record in Korean language training. Applicants who apply for an IUC scholarship are required to submit their CV with their application form.
3) Application process and Admissions
- Deadline for Application:
Spring: January 15, 2017
Summer: May 15, 2017
Fall: July 15, 2017
Submit the completed application (attached document) and the certificate of Korean language proficiency and/or transcript of Korean language courses to both iuckorea at skku.edu & iucskku at gmail.com.
Homepage : http://iuc.skku.edu
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
ross.king at ubc.ca
More information about the Koreanstudies