[KS] EPRIE 2018 Call for Applications: Media in times of populism and post-truth politics

Korea Verband mail at koreaverband.de
Thu Mar 1 05:57:35 EST 2018

Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to the current call for applications of EPRIE 2018. We look forward to your recommendation of possible participants or your application. For further information please visit www.eprie.net<http://www.eprie.net>.

Kind regards,

Nataly Jung-Hwa HAN, Chairwoman of Korea Verband
Rita ZOBEL, Ph.D., EPRIE Head of Project

________________________________
Exchange Program for Regional Integration in East Asia and Europe - EPRIE 2018

Media in times of populism and post-truth politics - challenges and opportunities
>From June 27 to July 8, 2018 in Europe (Poland, Germany, Belgium)

EPRIE aims to exchange perspectives and experiences between East Asia and Europe. In 2018, we will take a closer look at the challenges posed by populism and post-truth politics to the media sector and the opportunities of media innovations to tackle these issues.
Together with media practitioners, actors from civil society, scholars and politicians, we want to focus on the changing role of media in times of populism and post-truth politics. Traditional media outlets increasingly need to regain trust if they do not want to lose their importance. In order to face this challenge, they must find innovative ways to organize and finance journalism. Social media, on the other hand, can be used to spread populist messages, fake news and hate. However, it also allows us to develop ideas, collaborate across borders and find new ways of participation.
During the seminar, we will discuss how the media is interwoven into the dynamics of populism and why post-truth and fake news appeal to so many. In workshops, we will also examine how media can be used to open up new channels of communication and participation. We will explore how new, independent actors in Europe and East Asia disprove fake news through investigative research, data journalism and fact checking. Are there specific forms of media usage in the different countries? What effect will this innovation have on global cooperation?
We will visit media and civil society organizations, hold discussions with experts in the field and develop our own ideas and strategies to use new and old media in a manner beneficial to society.
The program is open to young professionals who are interested in actively contributing to the seminar by introducing their ideas and perspectives, sharing their opinions, and engaging their fellow participants in discussion.
If you intend to apply for the program or recommend a candidate, please see to our website: www.eprie.net<http://www.eprie.net>.

Eligible candidates

-       are young practitioners and experts from civil society, media, administration or international organizations, journalists, educators, advanced graduate students, early postdoctoral researchers

-       have a special interest in the topic and willingness to connect with others in the field

-       are expected to speak fluent English (program language)

-       are between 25 and 35 years of age

-       are preferably from France, Germany, Poland, China, Japan or Korea. Applicants from other countries are also welcome.

A committee will select 20 participants from the applications received.

Selected applicants will join us for a unique intercultural experience. They will exchange their views and ideas through intensive dialogue in international working groups. In addition to gaining specialized knowledge, participants will develop intercultural competencies. EPRIE provides a platform for exchange that encourages participants to build a sustainable network for cooperation with the other members of the EPRIE Alumni network.

All basic expenses during the program including accommodation, transfers and meals are covered. However, participants are expected to cover their own travel costs from their home country to the first conference location in Wroclaw/Krzyzowa (Poland) and back from Brussels (Belgium). Overseas candidates can apply for financial support.
To complete an application, the following documents are required:

-         application form<https://eprie.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/EPRIE-Application-Form-2018.pdf>
-         recommendation form<https://eprie.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/EPRIE-Recommendation-Form-2018.pdf>
-         CV
-         Proof of English language skills

The application deadline is March 25, 2018. We welcome early applications.

We kindly ask applicants to fill out the forms and send the required documents to info at eprie.net<mailto:info at eprie.net>. Please note that we cannot consider incomplete applications!

The organizer of EPRIE is the Korea Verband<http://www.koreaverband.de/>, a politically independent association based in Berlin. EPRIE is kindly supported by the Robert Bosch Stiftung<http://www.bosch-stiftung.de/>, a private German foundation engaged in the promotion of international understanding, and the Japan office of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Tokyo<http://www.fes-japan.org/>.
We look forward to your recommendation or application.

Best regards,
Nataly Jung-Hwa HAN, Chairwoman of Korea Verband
Rita ZOBEL, Ph.D., EPRIE Head of Project
Korea Verband e.V., Rostocker Str. 33, 10553 Berlin, Germany
[Logo_Klein_01]

In cooperation with and supported by:

[cid:image002.png at 01D3B154.613B93E0]