[KS] EOD - eBooks on Demand from EUROPEAN libraries, publ. 1500 to 1950s?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Mar 27 19:41:50 EDT 2018

First of all, thanks to Adam Bohnet for the info about the Library of
Congress' "North Korean Serials DB," the new searchable bibliography.

Let me add another piece of information regarding another book service.
Most scholars outside of Europe may not be aware of this service (I was
not either).

There is an "eBooks on Demand" (EOD) service for old books, published
from 1500 to 1950s? (website description states until "1900" but I see
some German titles available published in e.g. 1932, or Russian titles
from 1958). These are books include publications in ALL LANGUAGES,
including KOREAN. Fourty libraries from 12 European countries do
participate. Now, you will find most older titles via the Google book
project (for free) via the "Hathi Trust Digital Library" at
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Search/Home
(requires in most cases a connection from a U.S. IP to read or download
books as full-text PDFs!) and at the "Internet Archive":
https://archive.org

But there are still lots of other older European publications that
never made it to any of the larger U.S. libraries, and these are not
available as PDFs. The EOD project closes that gap. It is a fee-based
service, though. There is a search page (with credit card or PayPal as
payment options):
https://books2ebooks.eu/en/content/where-find-books-ebooks-demand
Synchronically search all participating 40 libraries from this page;
search results will only display books which can be converted into
PDFs. Wonderful service!

This and other services are also linked to from my BOOKS page:
http://koreanstudies.com/3_books.html

Best,
Frank