[KS] Call for Papers

Jongchol An jan7009 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:00:08 EST 2018

Dear Koreanists,

The Center for Korean Studies at the University of Tuebingen is hosting its
third annual conference of the Tuebingen Global Korea Project under the
title of "*The Developmental State and Social Conflicts in Cold War Korea*"
on July 12-13, 2019. If you are interested in presenting your paper, please
submit your abstract by December 20, 2018. Please see the information below
for more details.

Best Wishes,
Jong-Chol An
Call for Papers
Abstract Deadline: December 20, 2018

The 3rd International Conference of the Tuebingen Global Korea Project:

“*The Developmental State and Social Conflicts in Cold War Korea*”

The Center for Korean Studies, Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies

Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen, Germany

July 12-13, 2019 (Friday-Saturday)

The Center for Korean Studies at the University of Tuebingen is pleased to
announce the 3rd  international conference of the Tuebingen Global Korea
Project. With the Tuebingen Global Korea Project, we situate our research
on modern Korean history and society beyond the nation, but without
neglecting it, by prioritizing transnational perspectives and methodologies.
For this conference, we seek to examine the central theme of the “The
Developmental State and Social Conflicts in Cold War Korea.”

Cold War study still tends to focus primarily on US-USSR policies,
state-to-state relations, and international political engagements. For this
conference, we invite scholars engaged in studies of developmental projects
and social engineering in assessing the historical changes in modern Korea
from the mid-20th century to today’s post-Cold War globalization. We seek
to explore the ways in which the developmental state and its various Cold
War developmental projects have had shaping consequences for Korean
society. Conversely, through the focus on “social conflicts,” the aim is to
investigate the dynamic social responses to the developmental state and its
Cold War projects.

For this conference, we seek to bring together researchers across
disciplines working on a wide range of topics related to this theme. And
for a greater circulation of the findings of this conference, papers
presented will be published in an edited volume by 2021.

The conference will take place at the University of Tuebingen from the
morning of Friday, July 12, 2019, to the afternoon of Saturday, July 13,
2019. Round-trip economy transportation costs (up to 1,100 Euros),
accommodations for up to three nights (arrival on Thursday, July 11th to
departure on Sunday, July 14th), and meals during the conference will be
provided for the participants.

The conference is funded by the Academy of Korean Studies for the Core
University Program for Korean Studies and is organized by Jun.-Prof.
Jong-Chol An of the Center for Korean Studies, Institute of Asian and
Oriental Studies, University of Tuebingen.

Interested participants should submit a paper abstract of no more than 400
words to Jong-Chol An (Jong-chol.an at uni-tuebingen.de) by December 20
(Thursday), with the subject line “Paper Abstract for the Cold War at
Tuebingen.” Abstracts should include participant’s name, institutional
affiliation, and a short biography. A short biography is expected to be one
paragraph, including one or two published work titles. Notification of
abstract acceptance will be notified by late January. Participants will be
asked at least two weeks in advance to circulate their paper drafts.
Questions about this conference can be sent to Jong-Chol An.