[KS] McCune-Reischauer Romanization System creators

James Grayson j.h.grayson at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat Oct 6 10:04:34 EDT 2018

Dear Richard (and other colleagues),
The M-R system was devised by the then three leading Korean phoneticians -
Ch’oe Hyŏnbae, Chŏng Insŏp, and Kim Sŏn’gi and introduced to the world
by George
M. McCune and Edwin O. Reischauer in their article ‘Romanization of the
Korean Language Based upon its Phonetic Structure’ (*Transactions of the
Korea Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society*, v. 29 (1939),  pp. 1-55).

After the introduction of the Korean Government's current system,  I wrote
an article for the  *Journal of East Asian Libraries '*' The New Government
Romanisation System for Korean: Why Was It Necessary?’ (no. 140 (Oct. 2006),
pp.49 -59) and a subsequent article  ‘Korean Romanisation: A Response to
Chris Doll’,  (*Journal of East Asian Libraries*,  no. 166 (Feb.
2018),  pp.75-79).
In these articles I explained why I thought that the current system used by
the ROK Government is abysmal and that the long overdue recognition of the
actual creators of the system should be given by calling the system CCK (Ch’oe
, Chŏng , and Kim). To my mind, there is no practical alternative for
general purposes of Romanisation than this system.

With best wishes,
James (Grayson)

--
Emeritus Professor James H. Grayson