[KS] new issue of SJEAS

King, Ross Ross.King at ubc.ca
Wed Oct 24 22:26:08 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues:

As the new Editor-in-Chief, I am pleased to announce that the October issue of Sungkyun Journal of East Asian Studies, published by the Academy of East Asian Studies, Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, Korea, has just come out and is now available on our website at

http://sjeas.skku.edu/

Let me also take this opportunity to thank my predecessor, Boudewijn Walraven, Professor emeritus from Leiden University, for his many years of service leading the journal.

The contents of the new issue are as follows:

Vol.18 No.2 OCT. 2018
CONTENTS

Note from the Editor-in-Chief

ARTICLES
The Earliest Statements of Christian Faith in China? A Critique of the Conventional Chronology of  The Messiah Sutra and On One God
by Jianqiang SUN (Leiden University)

The “Lion and Kunlun Slave” Image: A Motif of Buddhist Art Found in Unified Silla Funerary Sculpture
by Youngae LIM (Gyeongju University)

Memory and Reproduction: A study of 1980s Chinese Ethnic Korean Revolutionary Narratives Focusingon Yun Il-san’s The Roaring Mudan River
by Haiying LI and Mingjie REN (Ocean University of China)

Literary Representation of a Proxy-Test Taker: Focusing on the Tale of Yu Kwangŏk
by Youme KIM (Yonsei University)

How did the Weaker Actor Defeat the Stronger Actor? Koguryŏ’s War with Sui (612‒614) Revisited
by Jinwung KIM (Kyungpook National University), Spencer C. TUCKER (ABC-CLIO),
and Grace H. KIM (The George Washington University)

Mishima Yukio’s Modern Noh Play Sotoba Komachi: Nietzsche’s Influence and the Ideal Post-war Artist
by Junghee KIM (Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)

BOOK REVIEWS
Shinji ONO
Kyōdaisei Onokun no senryōki gokuchū nikki (University of Kyōto student Ono’s occupation-era prison diary)
by Mark E. CAPRIO (Rikkyo University)

With my thanks,

Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
vox: 604-822-2835
fax: 604-822-8937