[KS] Announcement of European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 18 (2)

Robert Winstanley-Chesters R.Winstanley-Chesters at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Apr 1 01:12:57 EDT 2019

Announcement of European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 18 (2)

The European Journal of Korean Studies aims to be the leading peer-reviewed, citation-indexed outlet for academic output in Europe in the English language, providing European and global scholars of Korea a venue that we know has been much in demand, long called for, and greatly anticipated.

Table of Contents

Special Section 'Korean History—Issues and Controversies'
Guest Editor, OWEN MILLER (SOAS, University of London)

‘The Rise and Fall of the New Right Movement and the Historical Wars in 2000s South Korea’
VLADIMIR TIKHONOV (University of Oslo)

‘Diagnosing and Debunking Korean Pseudohistory'
ANDREW LOGIE (University of Helsinki)

‘Investigating Tragedy at Sea: The Ukishima-maru Incident and its Legacy’
MARK CAPRIO (Rikkyo University)

+

‘Purging ‘Factionalist’ Opposition to Kim Il Sung: The First Party Conference of the Korean Worker’s Party in 1958’
PETER WARD (University of Vienna)

‘Clothing, Food and Dwelling: Western Views of Korean Life in the Early Nineteenth Century’
DUAN BAIHUI (Yonsei University)

and Research Note from:

BROTHER ANTHONY OF TAIZÉ - 'Translating Korean Poetry: History, Practice, and Theory'

Articles in this issue explore the contested and complicated histories of the Korean Peninsula. Papers touch on Europeans first conceptions' of Korea, North Korean factionalist politics, unresolved potential atrocities from the colonial era, and the controversies and contradictions of South Korea's New Right historical movement. The European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 18 (2) also offers reviews of some of the most intriguing recent book length writing, including an edited volume from Andreas Schirmer and works by Robert Oppenheim, Suk-young Kim, Justin Hastings, Cheehyung Harrison Kim and Janet Poole's recent translation of Yi Tae’jun.

We welcome new writing by scholars from Western and Eastern Europe, Korea, Australasia, and beyond and hope that readers will consider submitting their own work for future issues. We take a detailed approach to peer review and copy editing, are committed to diversity and take particular pride in our work with early career scholars The journal appears twice a year, has an ISSN number and is now a member of Crossref.  SSCI, SCOPUS and other citation indexing is in progress.

To obtain a copy of the European Journal of Korean Studies visit our website for further information at www.ejks.org.uk and purchase a subscription, individual issues or articles. The European Journal of Korean Studies subscription rates for students (up through graduate student/PhD level) are very reasonably priced online at £10 per year. You may also become a member of the British Association for Korean Studies and receive this, future and past issues free of charge.

Editor in Chief - Dr Adam Cathcart (University of Leeds)
Managing Editor - Dr Robert Winstanley-Chesters (University of Leeds / Birkbeck, University of London)