[KS] The "Korean Man" identified.

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat Aug 3 20:10:58 EDT 2019

Dear Henny and All:

You may then be interesting in reading Thijs Weststeijn and Lennert
Gesterkamp's 2016 article:
"A new identity for Rubens's 'Korean man': Portrait of the Chinese
merchant Yppong," in: _Netherlands Yearbook for History of Art_ 66, no.
1 (2016): 142-169

It is a very solid piece of research and much fun reading.
And so is Stephanie Schrader's piece for the 2013 exhibition at the
Getty in L.A. (in; _Looking East: Rubens's Encounter with Asia_).

In the 2016 piece Weststeijn and Gesterkamp identify the Chinese
merchant "Yppong" as Xing Pu 興浦, and from what you post here,
Weststeijn has now acknowledged that it is not 興浦 but 吳浦 = Wu Pu.
Sure looks more like "Wu" (O in Korean) than an abbreviation of
"Xing" to me.
(See attached image from the 2016 Weststeijn / Gesterkamp article).

As a side note:
Weststeijn's summary from the conference paper you quote is utmost
bewildering from the perspective of art history (and Weststeijn himself
is art historian, I believe).

 > These findings inspire the observation
 > that the common tendency to study images in relation to other images
 > rather than to historical reality may be counterproductive. Too much
 > fear of a positivist ‘fallacy’ may confirm the
 > dynamic of Orientalist or ‘exotic’ projections, whereas an encounter
 > between individuals actually took place.

This statement kind of throws art history out the window all together.
Nothing is ever that simple. Even when interpreting and explaining a
photographic portrait one has to consider other images to produce a
meaningful description and understanding of the work and the
intellectual environment it was produced in. Everything happens in a
cultural and political context. Images always live in a context, and
that context is by no means just the context of what "actually took
place."

Apart from that strangely non-art historical conclusion, the 2016
article is very intersting!

Henny, if you're aware of a follow-up article, please let us know.