[KS] Strange Korean Parallels 2020.2, upcoming submission date reminder

Andrew zatouichi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 05:14:47 EST 2019

Dear all,

We have already received a number of excellent paper proposals for
SKP2020.2, but this is just a brief reminder that the submission date is
this Friday, 20 December.

Recognizing the end of semester is a busy time, we nevertheless hope for
your application!

If you are extremely pushed for time, a shorter 300 word abstract will also
be considered.

Please see below and attached for the full blurb and submission
instructions.

Andrew Logie

*Strange Korean Parallels 2020.2**: **An international conference*

*for the comparative situating of Korea within*

*Northeast Asia and other global regions*

27–28 February 2020

University of Helsinki, Finland

In January 2019, the first Strange Korean Parallels conference was
successfully held in the depths of winter at the University of Helsinki,
Finland. The papers presented there covered topics from early history
through to the 20th century, and included critical comparisons of Korea
with various other regions and countries of Asia, Europe and America.
Participants similarly came from around the globe, and represented both a
diversity of topical expertise and a range of career stages.

In February 2020, we will hold the second Strange Korean Parallels. The
primary aims of the conference remain the same: to broaden the foundations
for comparative approaches to Korean history and culture in global
contexts, to demonstrate the potential of such research, and to cultivate a
shared research identity among participants.

This year we broaden the scope of Strange Korean Parallels to encourage
those who may not consider themselves historians in the traditional or
strictest sense to consider applying. We thus invite not only historians
and archaeologists but also scholars of linguistic history and the full
spectrum of arts and societal topics of all periods of Korea to experiment
with situating their research in broader regional and global levels of
interconnectivity and comparison.

The conference is principally open to doctoral students and above. Both
individual and panel proposals are welcome. During the conference we will
discuss publication strategies and we welcome early expressions of interest
from journals or publishers. Financially, we aim to provide selected
participants with 3 nights accommodation (26-29 February, with breakfast)
at the Töölö Towers residence for visiting scholars, 2 lunches and at least
one dinner across the main conference days. Participants are responsible
for their own travel arrangements to Helsinki.

*Instructions*

•   Please send abstracts (500-600 words) as Word files to:
andrew.logie at helsinki.fi with the subject “SKP2020 abstract SURNAME Name”.

•   Abstracts should include your name, position and affiliation.

•   You should receive confirmation of receipt within five working days.

•   Please note the close deadline for submissions: *20 December 2019*.

•   The working language of the conference is English. Bilingual Korean and
English language abstracts will also be accepted.

For further updates, look for the *Strange Korean Parallels* page
(#StrangeKoreanParallels) on Facebook.

*Important dates:*

2019.12.20 Deadline for paper proposals (500-600 words).

2019.12.30 Notification of acceptance/rejection.

2020.1.6    Deadline for confirmation of participation.

2020.2.16  Submission of working drafts papers.

2020.2.27  Conference Day 1

2020.2.28  Conference Day 2

Strange Korean Parallels 2020 is organized by Andrew Logie, assistant
professor in Korean Studies at University of Helsinki, Department of
Culture, and funded by University of Helsinki.