[KS] Aaron Moore (1972 - 2019)

Cheehyung Harrison Kim cheehyungkim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:14:08 EDT 2019

To the Korean Studies Community,

It is with immense sorrow, and with respect to his family, that we share
the news of the passing of our friend, colleague, and historian Aaron
Stephen Moore. He died on the morning of September 8, 2019. His funeral
will be on Saturday, September 14, 2019, at the Queen of Heaven Catholic
Funeral Home in Mesa, Arizona.

Aaron Moore grew up in Tokyo as the son of an American father and a Korean
mother, so he was able to bring a wide range of linguistic tools to his
research on Japan's use of engineering technology to legitimize fascism at
home and imperialism abroad, in the first half of the 20th century.
His *Constructing
East Asia: Technology, Ideology, and Empire in Japan Wartime Era
1931-1941 *(Stanford
2013) is a pioneering work that shed light on the previously unexplored
role of technocrats in rationalizing the actions of Japan’s wartime
government. He had begun work on the continued influence of Japanese
engineers and technocrats in the postwar era, both in Japan itself and in
its former colonies, when his life was suddenly cut short.

We cannot imagine what his family is going through. His passing is a
tremendous loss. Many of us will miss his friendship. A unique, bright
light in our field and in our community has gone out too soon.

Respectfully,
Don Baker
Cheehyung Harrison Kim