[KS] Announcement of European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 19 (1)

Robert Winstanley-Chesters R.Winstanley-Chesters at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 30 20:01:08 EDT 2019

Announcement of European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 19 (1)

The European Journal of Korean Studies aims to be the leading peer-reviewed, citation-indexed outlet for academic output in Europe in the English language, providing European and global scholars of Korea a venue that we know has been much in demand, long called for, and greatly anticipated.

Table of Contents

Special Section ‘Imagined Futures—Spaces, Places, Architectures of Pyongyang & North Korea’
Guest Introduction, OLIVER WAINWRIGHT (The Guardian)

‘Imagination as a Research Method: Spatial Futures for Pyongyang in 2050’

ANNIE PEDRET (Seoul National University)

‘”Moments of the Future”: Imagining the City and Monuments of Pyongyang in 2050’

JELENA MANDIĆ (Seoul National University)

‘Rise and Fall of the Microdistrict in Pyongyang, North Korea’
DONGWOO YIM (Hongik University)

‘Ruins, Memory and Vibrant Matter: Imagining Future North Korean Rural Terrains’
ROBERT WINSTANLEY-CHESTERS (University of Leeds)

+

‘The Creation of the Modern Individual in Modern Korean Literature: Kim Tong-in’s Novella Maŭm i yŏt’un chayŏ (A Person with a Weak Heart, 1919–1920)’

MIN KOO CHOI (Georgetown University)

‘From Hybridity of Cultural Production to Hyperreality of Post-feminism in K-pop: A Theoretical Reconsideration for Critical Approaches to Cultural Assemblages in Neoliberal Culture Industry’
GOOYONG KIM (Cheyney University of Pennsylvania)

‘Koreans across the Sea: Migration of Laborers to the Metropole, 1910–1937’

MIKWI CHO (University of Cambridge)

‘The Japanese Military “Comfort Women” Issue and the 1965 System: Comfort Women of the Empire and Two-fold Historical Revisionism’

CHONG YOUNG-HWAN (Meiji Gakuin University)

Research Notes from:

XIAOXUAN LU (The University of Hong Kong) - Divergent Memories of Tumen Shan-shui'

and

YUJIN LIM (University of Leeds) ‘Between Natural and Appropriate Burden Sharing in Defense: Revisiting Carter Administration’s Troop Withdrawal Plans from the Korean Peninsula’

Articles in this issue’s special section imagine the future architectures and spaces of Pyongyang and North Korea. Further papers touch on the modern individual Korean literature, K-pop problematics and colonial Korean labour histories. We are also grateful to have an important translation of a paper critiquing Pak Yuha’s Comfort Women of the Empire. The European Journal of Korean Studies Vol 19 (1) also offers a roundtable review of Monica Kim’s recent Interrogation Rooms of the Korean War: A Hidden History as well as reviews of books by Eugene Park and David Fields and two new translations of important Korean texts, namely T’aengniji translated by Inshil Choe Yoon and The Tale of Cho Ung translated by Sookja Cho.

We welcome new writing by scholars from Western and Eastern Europe, Korea, Australasia, and beyond and hope that readers will consider submitting their own work for future issues. We take a detailed approach to peer review and copy editing, are committed to diversity and take particular pride in our work with early career scholars. The journal appears twice a year, has ISSN numbers and is now a member of Crossref.  SSCI, SCOPUS and other citation indexing is in progress.

To obtain a copy of the European Journal of Korean Studies visit our website for further information at www.ejks.org.uk and purchase a subscription, individual issues or articles. The European Journal of Korean Studies subscription rates for students (up through graduate student/PhD level) are very reasonably priced online at £10 per year (rising to £15 per year on January 1st, 2020). You may also become a member of the British Association for Korean Studies and receive this, future and past issues free of charge.

Editor in Chief - Dr Adam Cathcart (University of Leeds)
Managing Editor - Dr Robert Winstanley-Chesters (University of Leeds)