[KS] Korean textiles?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Apr 12 05:44:55 EDT 2020

Dear James, and All:

To start with, I have no educational background in embroideries,
Korean or otherwise.
But let's just do this like an engineer and or art historian, and see
what we have here:

The second, close-up photo you attached shows three riders (as part of
a longer procession).

All the way on the left is a rider who is holding what must be a Ruyi
scepter (如意; Kor. 여의), and the mythical animal he sits on is a
one-horned qilin 麒麟 (Kor. 기린), in English writing often referred to
as unicorn. The particular ox-like, rustic way that qilin is depicted
already tells me it is not Chinese, and that this might indeed be a
Korean work.

Next we have a rider on what seems to be a horse -- too elegant for a
donkey, although I would have expected a donkey here. The rider holds
what must be an incense burner ... or, possibly, the fungus of
immortality.

The third rider sits on a Haet'ae 해태 (獬廌 or 獬豸) and holds a
flower pot with, very likely so, lotus flowers.

Above the riders we see clouds. And when we look at the entire
embroidery (first photo James Lewis sent, see his mail), we see eight
riders and one mythical animal (?) in the middle.

No doubt, this is a Daoist motive resp. these are Daoist motives, full
of Daoist symbols of longevity.
The eight riders must be the "Eight Immortals" (八仙 / 팔선). Usually,
in Korea, we see them depicted with Sansin 山神, the mountain god (or
mountain spirit) and next to a tiger. But here, in the middle -- what
is this? An elephant carrying ...? In any case, we see a procession of
Daoist immortals riding through the mountains or the clouds, and a
ninth elephant-like mythical animal (or an actual elephant) in the
center.

The piece is large; it is long, and the image depicts a procession.
Going from here, my first guess would be that it was used at a royal
enthronement or possibly a royal burial. This is just a very first
guess.

Best,
Frank