[KS] Poetry Book in Translation

Emily Jungmin Yoon ejyoon at uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 2 16:43:09 EDT 2020

Dear everyone,

my poetry collection, A Cruelty Special to Our Species,<https://www.harpercollins.com/products/a-cruelty-special-to-our-species-emily-jungmin-yoon> published by Ecco-HarperCollins in 2018, will be published in Korea by Yolimwon this month (Aug. 17). The book centers on the history of the Japanese Imperial Army's "comfort women," as well as more contemporary experiences of being a Korean woman living in the US. I will include some links to reviews and praise from US outlets below.

Translated into Korean by novelist Han Yujoo, the Korean version is titled 『우리 종족의 특별한 잔인함』 and includes a new foreword from me, Q&A between me and Han, and commentaries by poets Kim Hyesoon and Lee Jenny.

Please consider pre-ordering a copy (& a special scarf!) at the Aladin Book Fund page<https://www.aladin.co.kr/m/bookfund/view.aspx?pid=1645>, if you're interested. The fund is an early promotional effort that offers the book at a lower price and introduces it to more readers prior to its publication. This fund ends on August 9, and we are close to meeting our fund goal. I would also appreciate sharing the page to your people in your communities.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Emily Jungmin Yoon
PhD Candidate
Department of East Asian Languages & Civilizations
University of Chicago

Select Reviews and Words of Praise for A Cruelty Special to Our Species:
The New York Times<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/books/review/cruelty-special-to-our-species-emily-jungmin-yoon.html>
New York Review of Books<https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/10/17/bringing-poetry-to-the-cruel-history-of-comfort-women/>
Publisher's Weekly<https://www.publishersweekly.com/9780062843685?permamore>

“Emily Jungmin Yoon finds language to convey its horror and violence—painfully and unsparingly, but somehow also with a delicacy, precision, and attention that does not impose the true (literal) brutality on the reader, which makes these poems all the more shocking and unforgettable.” -Amy Tan

“With searing witness and quietly prodigious song here is a volume that speaks sharp truths to those who would wish the forgetting of one of the darkest hours of humanity. A lovely, moving, and ultimately devastating book.” -Chang-rae Lee

“The poems...are miracles of clarity and precision that are all the more miraculous because their strength, piercing lyricism, and transparent humanity never quaver or falter or step back for a second.” -Vijay Seshadri