[KS] The Korea Magazine

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Feb 24 02:19:35 EST 2020

I have just finished transcribing the contents of the short-lived monthly Korea Magazine that Jame S. Gale and others edited between 1917 and 1919.
Each month's issue is in MS Word format, while each year's complete text is also available (with an index) in PDF format, in both cases maintaining the original pagination (but not the line-breaks and page-headers). The page format used is that of our current RASKB Transactions (15 x 22.5 cm).

I have also compiled continuous files of certain texts that were serialized in multiple issues: Gale's Choon Yang  (why did he omit the 'h'?), the novels "Blazing the Trail" by W. A Noble ('Earl Ray') and "The Crimson Dawn" (who wrote it?), the Diary of the Korean Envoy’s Journey to Peking in 1712 A. D. by Kim Ch’ang­up, and all the translations of Joseon or Goryeo texts from all issues.

The URL is http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/KoreaMagazineTOC.html

This joins the previously available texts of
The Korean Repository  http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/Repository/index.html (PDF files only)
The Korea Review  http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/KoreaReview/index.html
The Transactions of the RASKB  http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/transactions/tablesofContents.html

I have also tidied up the page in my site listing online textual resources related to old Korea  http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr/BooksKorea.htm which includes links to many of the titles available from the Internet Archive and ends with an index allowing access to the 15 volumes of the  "Chosen koseki zufu" (朝鮮古蹟圖譜 조선고적도보 Joseon Gojeok Dobo)  series. (Original index at http://portal.nrich.go.kr/kor/historyinfoList.do?menuIdx=616  ) as well as links to my corrected text files of Dallet's Histoire de l’Église de Corée and Isabella Bird's Korea and her Neighbo(u)rs.

Now all we need is online access to the Korean Mission Field--any volunteers? (Or would anyone like to sell me the reprint set?)

In the current situation, sitting in front of a computer behind a locked door  is the only safe activity we have left.

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea (still!)