[KS] CFP: IASPM 2021 Conference in Daegu, Korea

Pil Ho Kim plateaux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:03:38 EDT 2020

Apologies for cross posting:

21st Biennial Conference of the International Association for the Study of
Popular Music

IASPM2021, "Climates of Popular Music"

Daegu, South Korea, July 6-10, 2021

http://iaspm2021.org

Call for Presentations

The most pressing issue for humanity in the 21st century is global climate,
and thus IASPM’s 21st Conference turns its attention towards this subject.
Whereas our 20th anniversary conference considered where we have been, we
now ask where we are now, what we are doing as a species, and what impact
it has on our communities and our world. On a planet increasingly
interconnected by a dizzying array of media channels, such a discussion has
to be broadly framed. Our planet’s climate is impacted by numerous forms of
human activity, including those that are individual, personal, local,
communal, institutional, commercial, corporate, cultural, political, and
international. This conference invites presentations that ask how popular
music relates to our climate, where climate relates to any part of the
totality of surrounding conditions and circumstances affecting growth or
development. By “climate,” we intend to include a range of definitions,
including ecological climate, political climates, socio-political climates,
and contextual and individuated climates. We ask presenters to consider the
impacts of activities related to popular music and its cultures on
variously defined climates, and the impacts of changing or changed climates
on different popular music and its contexts.

To address these issues, as well as any other questions and topics related
to the past, present and future climates of popular music, the
International Association for the Study of Popular Music invites proposals
for the twenty-first IASPM biennial conference, to be held at Kyungpook
National University in Daegu, South Korea, July 6-10, 2021. The general
theme of conference is divided into five interrelated streams:

A) Environment

Popular music has long been associated with green agendas, ecological
concerns, and environmental activism, and this stream takes a more literal
interpretation of the conference title than others. It also implies a link
to ecological approaches that explore affordances as well as impacts,
including insights from fields such as eco-musicology, ethnomusicology, and
sound studies.

B) Milieu

Political climates no doubt seem to be more complex than those of the past
to each generation. They have a direct influence on the stability and
sustainability of our cultures, and this relationship is often reflected in
our popular music. Political storms, quakes and disasters flow from
isolationism into global cooperation, between east and west and from south
to north. This stream will address local, national, and international
politics, as well as individuated socio-politics, as reflected through
issues such as identity, gender, class, sexuality, and belief, and seen and
heard through popular music.

C) Ambiance

When describing climates, we may use terms such as ambiance, atmosphere,
mood, or tone, to conceptualize the often unconscious perceptions of space
and place. Studies of space and place have emerged as a key
interdisciplinary subject across numerous fields and have crossed into
popular music studies through studies of geographies, locality, scenes and
subcultures. This stream invites explorations of receptions and
perceptions, of audiences and ethnographies, of set and settings of popular
music.

D) World

Climate, however defined, is intimately associated with questions that
require a global approach. Although ‘world music’ has slowly made peace
with ethnomusicology and although both have made inroads into popular music
studies, they have not yet reached a truly global understanding of popular
music. Areas such as South East Asia, where this conference is to be
hosted, are having an increasing impact upon popular music, yet they are
significantly under-represented. This stream encourages contributions which
widen and deepen our global/local understanding of popular music and its
cultures, whether through a detailed study of a specific subculture or
scene, or by exploring changes in global popular music climates.

E) Mediums

The modes and channels of mediation of music have evolved at a rapid rate
over the last 120 years, moving through cycles of oral, written, recorded,
digital, and virtual transmission, into a multi-valent universe where
revivals of folk singing and vinyl clubs mix with digital music and
streaming. This stream focuses on how mediums impact on popular music, and
on the role of technology.

Academic Committee

Geoff Stahl (co-chair), Andrea Dankić (co-chair). Pil Ho Kim (co-chair)

Local Organizing Committee

Keewoong Lee (chair), Aekyung Park, Eunice Sung, Taeyoon Kim, Hyun Kyong
Chang, Eujeong Zhang, Hyunjoon Shin, Hyunseok Kwon, Gyu Tag Lee, Hawsook
Song, Wonseok Lee, Pil Ho Kim, Jun-Hue Lee, Jung-Yup Lee, Jungwon Kim, Yu
Jung Lee, Youngdae Kim

* Individual roles not yet assigned

Abstracts

There will be four options: panels (of 3 or 4 presenters), individual
papers, film/video presentations, or poster sessions.

Panels

Proposals for organized panels are encouraged (two-hour long sessions with
four papers, or three papers and a discussant). Each session should leave
at least 30 minutes for discussion or for comments by a discussant
immediately following the presentations. The panel organizer should submit
the panel abstract and all individual abstracts (200 words each) in one
document, with a full list of participant names and email addresses. Where
an independently submitted abstract appears to fit a panel, the Academic
Committee may suggest the addition of a panelist.

Papers

We invite abstracts of no longer than 200 words, including five keywords
for programming purposes and an optional list of references (max 10).
Individual paper presentations are 20 minutes long to be followed by 10
minutes of discussion.

Film/video session

Recently completed films introduced by their author and discussed by
conference participants may be proposed. Submit a 200-word abstract
including titles, subjects, and formats, and indicate the duration of the
proposed films/videos and introduction/discussion.

Poster session

A space for Poster Exhibition will be provided. A 200-word abstract by the
poster’s author, including five keywords for programming purposes, must be
submitted.

Submission

Please submit your abstract no later than 31 July 2020, as both doc. & pdf.
format attachment through the IASPM 2021 official website. You can easily
find detailed guidelines and templates at the online submission page.

Each participant must be a member of any branch of IASPM:
www.iaspm.net/how-to-join.

Each participant may present only one paper at the Conference, but may also
preside over a panel or serve as a discussant.

Abstracts will be accepted in English, IASPM’s official language.

Letters of acceptance will be sent by 30 September 2020.

If you have any question, feel free to contact IASPM 2021 Secretariat (
iaspm2021 at gmail.com)

Covid 19 Information

We are aware of the global pandemic’s impact across the world and take
issues of safety seriously. We hope that by the time of the conference,
various COVID19-related restrictions will have eased more or less
completely. We are monitoring the situation closely and will advise members
accordingly.

Virtual Presentations

We are aware of the environmental impact of global travel, especially in
light of the subject of the conference. We hope that moving some of the
conference online will be one way of addressing this ecological issue.
Circumstances surrounding the current pandemic have also made virtual
research sharing more necessary. We are preparing so that at least some
portions of the conference can take place online and interested parties may
be able to attend the conference virtually. More information will be
published when it is available.

The conference organizers look forward to receiving your submissions!

With kindest regards,

IASPM Executive Committee:

Rupert Till, Chair

Beatriz Goubert, Secretary

Bernhard Steinbrecher, Membership Secretary

Simone Krueger Bridge, Treasurer

Kimi Kärki, Webmaster

Keewoong Lee, Conference Chair

Catherine Strong, Member-at-large