[KS] KCNA and Rodong Sinmun Article Data

Scott Fisher swf24 at scarletmail.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 16 11:51:58 EDT 2020

Greetings,

Thanks to a recent grant, we've been able to assemble databases of articles
from the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) and the Rodong Sinmun. For KCNA
the articles run from 1 October 2008 to 27 Feb 2020, just over 85,000
articles. The Rodong Sinmun database is smaller, running from 2 Jan 2018 to
31 Dec 2019, just over 7,100 articles. Both represent all articles
available on the respective websites at the time of the scrape/collection
earlier this year.

We added sentiment and topic analysis to the data, put everything into
Tableau, and made both databases searchable on the affiliated project's
website: https://focusdataproject.com/north-korea/. Note the interesting
spike in reporting in Dec 2011. You can run searches using the Search
Article Text feature - comparing KCNA sentiment regarding Trump and Moon is
quite interesting.

For those who would like access to the full databases, we set up a Harvard
Dataverse: https://dataverse.harvard.edu/dataverse/focusdataproject.

We are adding similar data for state media and foreign ministry postings
from China, Russia, and Iran. The project and affiliated website (
https://focusdataproject.com/) are new and just emerging from beta; please
let me know of any technical or related issues.

Happy to answer any questions. A colleague and I will also be presenting
(virtually, unfortunately) on the databases and associated methodology at
APSA in September.

Be well,

Scott

Scott Fisher, PhD
Assistant Professor, Professional Security Studies
New Jersey City University
sfisher1 at njcu.edu