[KS] Monash University Korean Studies Events 2020

Adam Zulawnik adam.zulawnik at monash.edu
Mon Mar 9 19:32:56 EDT 2020

Dear KS mailing list,

Please find ammended post request below:

Dear all, please see below a list of exciting Korean Studies events to be
held at Monash University, Australia, in 2020.

*Monash University Korean Studies Events 2020*

*Semester 1:*

·       27th April, 3-6 pm (Menzies H6) (Monash Korean Studies Seminar
Series)

Movie: *‘Shusenjo’: The Main Battleground of Comfort Women Issue followed
by Q&A and discussion with movie director Miki Dezaki.*

*Synopsis:*

The “comfort women” issue is perhaps Japan’s most contentious present-day
diplomatic quandary.  Inside Japan, the issue is dividing the country
across clear ideological lines. Supporters and detractors of “comfort
women” are caught in a relentless battle over empirical evidence, the
validity of oral testimony, the number of victims, the meaning of sexual
slavery, and the definition of coercive recruitment. Credibility,
legitimacy and influence serve as the rallying cry for all those involved
in the battle. In addition, this largely domestic battleground has been
shifted to the international arena, commanding the participation of various
state and non-state actors and institutions from all over the world.  This
film delves deep into the most contentious debates and uncovers the hidden
intentions of the supporters and detractors of comfort women. Most
importantly it finds answers to some of the biggest questions for Japanese
and Koreans: Were comfort women prostitutes or sex slaves? Were they
coercively recruited?  And, does Japan have a legal responsibility to
apologize to the former comfort women?

*Bio:*

Miki Dezaki is a graduate of the Graduate Program in Global Studies at
Sophia University in Tokyo.  He worked for the Japan Exchange Teaching
Program for five years in Yamanashi and Okinawa before becoming a Buddhist
monk in Thailand for one year.  He is also known as "Medamasensei" on
Youtube, where he has made comedy videos and videos on social issues in
Japan. His most notable video is “Racism in Japan,” which led to numerous
online attacks by Japanese neo-nationalists who attempted to deny the
existence of racism and discrimination against Zainichi Koreans (Koreans
with permanent residency in Japan) and Burakumin (historical outcasts still
discriminated today). "Shusenjo" is his directorial debut.

·       6th May, Matheson Library (T1/T2), 3-5 pm (Monash Korean Studies
Seminar Series)

*    Assoc. Prof. Mira Kim (UNSW)*

‘*Applying SFL-based Theme Analysis to Translation between English and
Korean’*

*     Abstract:*

Systemic Functional Linguistics (SFL) has been used as a theoretical
framework in Translation Studies (TS) since its early stages of development
(e.g. Catford (1965); House (1977/1997)). However, as Munday (2012: 137)
explains, its influence started to become conspicuous from the 1990s when
discourse analysis came to prominence in TS (e.g. Hatim and Mason (1990,
1997), Baker (1992/2011), Bell (1991), Steiner (2002, 2004), just to name a
few). In spite of the growth in its applications in TS, there is a gap
between SFL and TS when it comes to the application of Theme analysis, as
pointed out in Munday (2000). A primary reason can be found in the fact
that the way Theme is realized differs from language to language and yet
descriptions on Theme and its realization in languages other than English
are scarce. Korean is one of the languages that have never been seriously
studied from a SFL perspective until before Kim (2007b). Against this
backdrop, this paper will discuss how SFL-based Theme analysis has been
applied in translation between English and Korean with a particular focus
on major difficulties in the application and ways in which they have been
addressed (Kim 2007a, 2011a, 2011b). It concludes some suggestions for
collaboration between SFL and TS scholars.

*      Bio:*

A/Prof Mira Kim is a researcher, educator and practitioner in the field of
translation and interpreting. She has been teaching both practical and
theoretical courses since 2000. Her main research areas include text
analysis for translation, translation quality assessment, translator
education, systemic functional linguistics and personalised language
learning.

·       20th May, ‘Premier’s Room’, Monash Sport, 42 Scenic Boulevard, 4-6
pm

*Korean Studies Jobs Fair*

Monash Korean Studies invites all to our inaugural Jobs Fair, an exciting,
two-hour event for those interested in Korea-related career opportunities.
The event will be opened by Mr. Hanil Cheon, Consul-General of the Republic
of Korea and feature short talks from Mr. Mark Painting, the CEO of NAATI,
Mr. Michael Simmonds, Monash University Director, Office of the Deputy Vice
Chancellor (Global Engagement), as well as industry representatives and
coordinators from various relevant study pathways. The event will include
catering from Cinque Lire. See you all there!

·       17th July, *Biennial Melbourne Korean Studies Meeting*.

*Details:*

Date: Friday July 17th 2020 (10am-5pm, followed by dinner)

Venue: S901/S902, Building S, Caulfield Campus, Monash University

*Background:*

The Biennial Meeting is a gathering for all academics (staff and
postgraduate students) in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area who teach and
research in areas related to Korean Studies. This will be the second
Biennial Meeting following the earlier successful event staged at Caulfield
in October 2018. The goal of the meeting is to get to know each other's
work better, form possible links for future collaboration and, ultimately,
to form a scholarly community in Melbourne dedicated to the study of Korea.

The format of the meeting will be research presentations (20 minutes plus
Q&A), followed by roundtable discussion. A catered lunch and dinner at a
restaurant will be provided. You may choose to give a presentation, or
otherwise just participate as an attendee.

*Semester 2:*

·       *Dr. Kyungja Jung* (UTS). Matheson Library, T1/T2, 3-5 pm. TBA

·       7th August, Matheson Library, T1/T2. 3-5 pm.

*Assoc. Prof. Jo Elfving-Hwang (UWA).*

*Abstract and Bio to come.*

·       21st August, Matheson Library T1/T2. 3-5 pm

*Dr. Thomas Baudinette (Macquarie University).*

‘*Idol shipping culture: Exploring queer sexuality among fans of K-pop’*

*            Abstract:*

The practice of imagining idols within romantic and sexual relationships
known as “shipping” is central to the global fandom of K-pop, allowing fans
to develop affective relationships with their favorite celebrities through
creative practices such as the writing of fan fiction. In particular,
shipping practices that reimagine the members of popular boy groups such as
EXO and BTS within homoerotic relationships are especially common among
both heterosexual female fans and fans who express queer sexualities as a
method of both affectively articulating their fandom as well as exploring
their broader sexual desires via K-pop consumption. This chapter explores
the homoerotic practice of shipping idols as a lens into the broader study
of gender and sexuality in relation to K-pop idols, demonstrating the
importance of fans’ sexual desires and attraction to K-pop fandom culture.
The chapter begins by charting the emergence of shipping practices within
Korean fandom, exploring how K-pop production companies strategically drew
upon Japanese *yaoi *culture to encourage young women to consume K-pop,
thus producing spaces within Korea’s patriarchal society where women’s
sexual desires can be safely explored. The chapter then turns to an
analysis of international shipping practices, presenting a comparative case
study of BTS shipping within Japanese and Anglophone fandom spaces. This
comparative analysis reveals that while BTS shipping in Japan tends to draw
upon rigid logics derived from *yaoi *culture that conceptualize homoerotic
relationships between men via sexual practices and behaviors divorced from
identity, Anglophone shipping tends to instead overtly deploy North
American LGBT identity politics. Nevertheless, the chapter argues that both
practices possess queer potentials that allow fans to affectively explore
their sexuality, affirming their sexual desires for K-pop idols. The
chapter concludes with a discussion of the role of shipping in affirming
the presence of queer fans within global K-pop culture.

*Bio:*

*Thomas Baudinette *is Lecturer in International Studies at Macquarie
University, Sydney. To date, his research has drawn upon the ethnographic
tradition to investigate Japanese queer popular culture, including its
spread throughout East and Southeast Asia. His first book, *Regimes of
Desire: Young Gay Men and Masculinity in Japan*, is forthcoming with
University of Michigan Press. He is currently conducting research on K-pop
consumption amongst queer communities in Australia, Japan and the
Philippines and writing a second book entitled *Boys Love Media in
Thailand: Celebrity, Fandom and Queer Popular Culture*. He was awarded the
2016 Ian Nish Prize by the British Association of Japanese Studies. More
information about Thomas’s research can be found at
http://thomasbaudinette.wordpress.com

·       Week of 31st of August (TBA)

*Korea Week 2020*

·       21st September

*Joseph Park (National University of Singapore)*. To be co-hosted with
Linguistics.

·       9th October (Hangul Day)

*Third-Annual Korean Speech Competition, 2020*