[KS] New Issue of Situations: Cultural Studies in the Asian Context (vol.13 no.1 2020) Now Online

"­최성우(교원/문과대학 영어영문학)" seongwoochoi at yonsei.ac.kr
Thu May 7 01:14:50 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

The latest issue of Situations: Cultural Studies in the Asian Context (http://situations.yonsei.ac.kr) is out! Our journal currently presents its content as open-access scholarship. This issue “Travails of Race, Nation, and Identity,” is also available to read online at http://situations.yonsei.ac.kr/product/list.php <http://situations.yonsei.ac.kr/product/list.php>.

Contents:

Introduction by Peter Y. Paik

A Tick on the Dragon’s Back: How Siam Bonded Itself to China’s Political and Economic Supply Chains by Kasian Tejapira

Kashmir, Article 370, and the Afterlife of Colonial Martial Race Theory by Purnima Bose

Sacrificing Vernacular Cosmopolitanism for the Postcolonial Nation by Chua Beng Huat

Property or Expression? The Copyright Debate in Hong Kong in the Wake of the Umbrella Movement by Pang Laikwan

Thinking against the Temptations of Simplicity by Lawrence Grossberg

Review Articles:

Review of Jonathan Rigg, More than Rural: Textures of Thailand’s Agrarian Transformation (University of Hawaii, 2019) by Coeli Barry

Review of John Lie ed., Zainichi Literature: Japanese Writings by Ethnic Koreans (University of California, 2019) by Hiroki Yamamoto

For your information, Situations: Cultural Studies in the Asian Context is an international journal published twice a year on March 31 and September 30, covering cultural studies in the Asian context. We welcome articles that cover topics related to the distinct regions and cultures of the continent. While we are based in Northeast Asia and many of the articles we have published have come from scholars working in this region, we seek to examine issues of significance in a wider Asian context that includes Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Central Asian republics of the former Soviet Union, and West Asia (the Middle East). The subject of cultural studies is understood to include both the traditional forms of the novel, poetry and drama and the newer cultural forms of television and film, advertising and fashion, social structures and habitus. We are interested in the issues of ideology, class, nation, race and ethnicity, sexuality and gender, technology; and we follow developments in stylistics and semiotics, history, philosophy and science, feminist and queer theory, social and political theory, literary, film and media studies, museum and art history studies.