[KS] Distortions by SAT and AP test prep

Mark Peterson markpetersonemeritus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 01:28:48 EDT 2020

I have had the following news spot from the Korean TV station JBTV
forwarded to me.  The report shows the SAT and AP World History prep books
have some Chinese-biased distortions in their statements and maps.  The
general thrust of the books is to imply greater suzerainty over Korea than
was historically true.

Here we go again.  Koreanist excluded from the textbook projects.

There was a textbook a few years ago that referred to Mimana, a Japanese
colony in Korea in early historic times.  It seems that when the textbook
editors find an "Asian" expert for the Asian sections of the textbooks, the
chances of getting Korea's story told from a Japanese or Chinese
perspective is the default.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to79pgcMM6c

If you would like to add your voice to those who are writing the College
Board, the parent organization of the SAT and AP World History test, please
click on this link, fill in the form, and let them know that distortions
about Korean history should not be included in their test prep books.

https://collegeboard.tfaforms.net/21

As Peter, Paul and Mary used to sing, "When will they ever learn? When will
they ever-er learn?"

best to you all -- stay safe,
Mark Peterson