[KS] The passing of Kevin O'Rourke (1940-2020)

Dafna Zur dafnaz at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 23 14:01:42 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the passing of Kevin O’Rourke.

A short notice has been published in Korean, here: https://www.columban.or.kr/?p=68647. I hope a more extensive obituary will follow.

Father O’Rourke arrived in Korea in 1964 as part of the Missionary Society of St. Columban. He was the first foreigner to get a phD in Korean literature from Yonsei University in 1984. Kevin devoted his life to what he loved best: poetry, translation, teaching, family, and friendships.

He was a magic storyteller and had a heart bigger than anyone I have ever known.

The cruelty of Covid-19 prevented us from parting with him properly. I hope that we will be able able to celebrate his life, very soon.

Dafna

Dr. Dafna Zur
https://profiles.stanford.edu/dafna-zur?tab=bio
https://zurdafna.youcanbook.me

Associate Professor, Korean Literature and Culture, Stanford University
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
Director of the Center for East Asian Studies