[KS] Book on Seo Yeong-hae

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Sep 16 12:39:29 EDT 2020

Hello Erica (and All):

Sŏ Yŏng-hae (徐嶺海, his French spelling was Seu Ring Hai) is most
certainly worth a book or two! Amazing guy. It's only recently that he
got some ink in both Korean and French media.

As for postal communications between mainland China and South Korea, I
think -- while diplomatic relations only normalized around 1987 between
the two states -- postal communication was always possible, I think.
The international mail system was not "interrupted." But in the cold
war area each of these authoritarian governments (China and Korea)
certainly had a very close eye on outgoing or incoming mails from a
country in the other camp. Sŏ Yŏng-hae may not have written in order to
protect himself and his wife.

He sure wasn't alone in that situation. So many Koreans continued to
live in Manchuria or elsewhere in mainland China after Korean
independence, while other family members had returned to Korea. As far
as I am aware of communication _mostly_ happened via Red Cross channels
or indirectly through foreigners.

Maybe there are others here on the list who have concrete infos on that
situation?

Best,
Frank