[KS] Kyujanggak Booktalk (Lecture #6 of 2020 Special Lecture Series): Sun Weiguo

SNU ICKS icks at snu.ac.kr
Thu Sep 24 21:59:15 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

The International Center for Korean Studies, Kyujanggak, Seoul National University is hosting a booktalk series, which introduces a work in Korean studies to facilitate the exchange of views and information among scholars. We will have our 6th booktalk via ZOOM on September 29, 2PM (KST). If you would like to join, please register at https://forms.gle/U7t6J7p8nf5XPtPj8. Please write your full name and affiliation correctly on the Google Form. We will send you the details you need to log in one day in advance. Thanks in advance!

About the Book
The book, which embodies a deeply-researched discourse on the history of Sino-Korean relations in the Qing Dynasty, consists of two parts.
Part I, which has eight chapters and combines political history, intellectual history, diplomatic history, and some other key topics such as the concept of "Little China", Kijia worship, Guanwang Temple, the ideology of "taking revenge for the insult", discusses the evolution of Chosen Korean’s attitudes towards Qing dynasty from "honoring the Ming" to "submitting to the Qing."
Part II of the book, consisting of six chapters, focuses on Korea’s gradually changing attitude towards Qing China through examining the contacts of six Korean envoys to Beijing (Hong Dae-yong, the members of Pukhakka, Hong Yang-ho, Yi Sang-jōk, Pak Kyu-su, and Kim Yun-sik) with the Qing people.
In terms of ideology, although Chosen Korea had long since adhered to the concept of “Honoring the Ming”, in reality it gradually turned the idea of "despising the Qing" into one of "submitting to the Qing" since it had to rely on Qing China to resist the intrusion of the West and Japan. This change in ideology was a reflection of the changed reality.
Born in 1966, Ph.D. in China ancient history (Nankai University, 1998), and Ph.D. in East Asian history (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2001), is a Professor in College of History, Nankai University, China now. His major is the Sino-Korean relation history, Korea history, Ming-Qing history, and China’s historiography.

About the Author

#451 Bldg.103 Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies

Seoul National University

1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul

08826, Republic of Korea

T +82.2.880.9378