[KS] Request for CFP Announcement (on Korean Diaspora)

JH jonghwal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 12:05:18 EDT 2021

Dear KS list members,

May I share this call for paper: “Diaspora Within Homeland: Displacement,
Mobility, and Diversity in Korea”

Cordially,

JongHwa Lee

*Call for Papers*

*Diaspora Within Homeland: Displacement, Mobility, and Diversity in Korea*

Book Editors: Min Wha Han, Eun-Jeong Han, and JongHwa Lee*

Korea is one of few countries that achieved remarkable development (many
call “miraculous progress”) in a relatively short span. Only to count the
recent decades of history, Korea has risen from the ashes of
civil/international war, to a global success story in economic, cultural,
and political spheres. Its “miraculous” transformation (of its global
positioning and upward mobility, from the postcolonial South) produced
equally dynamic reconfiguration of economic, cultural, and political border
lines between its “homeland” and the world. More and more, a simple
distinction between “what is Korean, traditional, and local” and “what is
alien, unauthentic, and global” does not stand true anymore. The reality of
multicultural family and marriage immigrants, foreign workers and students,
refugees, North Korean defectors, returning Korean immigrants/descendants
abroad, and other minorities of ethnicity, nationality, sexuality, etc. has
become everyday affairs for Koreans today.

The proposed volume focuses on the transformation and the dynamic
reconfiguration of borders within Korea through inter/trans-disciplinary
approaches. While “diaspora” remains a central theoretical perspective
(often highlighting “out of home” experiences), the volume turns its gaze
to inward, “within homeland,” to trace internal displacement, mobility, and
diversity in Korea. In addition, the proposed book is particularly
interested in bridging “diaspora” with other theoretical lenses, such as
intercultural sensitivity and adaptation, acculturation, alienation,
subaltern, counterpublic, and abjection. Also, we are interested in
exploring the possibilities of coalition building between/among diverse
communities within.

We invite chapter contributions from wide ranges of scholarly, theoretical,
and methodological approaches. Central questions that chapters of the book
may engage include, but not limited to:

·         How does the experience of economic, cultural, and political
mobility/movement (inward/outward, upward/downward, etc.) challenge,
negotiate, and renew our understanding of “home and abroad,” “us and them,”
and “here and there”?

·         How are the notions of “homeland” and “diaspora” constructed,
practiced, and remembered by diverse communities in Korea?

·         How is the notion of “Korean identity and citizen/ship”
articulated, performed, and policed?

·         How do the media (including new/social media) and pop culture
(including *Hallyu* phenomena) contribute to negotiating and re/configuring
the meanings of “what is Korean, traditional, and local” (or “what is
alien, unauthentic, and global”)?

·         How can “community” and “common good” be built that celebrates
diversity and social justice?

We are committed to accept chapters that address diverse voices within
Korean society. If interested, please send an abstract (500-700 words) and
CV by April 30, 2021 to koreandiaspora2 at gmail.com. Final essay should be
approximately within 7,000 words including references, tables, and figures.
We are anticipating the submission of finished essays by Dec 31, 2021.

For those interested in contributing, it may be useful to examine our 2019
text, *Korean Diaspora across the World: Homeland in History, Memory,
Imagination, Media, and Reality*, which is the winner of *2020 Outstanding
Book Award by Asian Pacific American Communication Studies Division of the
National Communication Association (NCA). *We see this current proposal as
an extension of that earlier work.

* Min Wha Han, Ph.D., is an incoming Assistant Professor in the Department
of Communication at West Texas A&M University. Eun-Jeong Han, Ph.D., is an
Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at Salisbury
University. JongHwa Lee, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department
of Communication & Mass Media at Angelo State University.