[KS] The 6th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum (Jan. 8, 2022) - Online Conference

hkahm at yonsei.ac.kr hkahm at yonsei.ac.kr
Wed Dec 22 19:20:59 EST 2021

To the Korean Studies community:

Yonsei University is hosting the 6th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum on Saturday, January 8, 2022 (KST). This will be an online Zoom conference with simultaneous interpretation of English and Korean, as well as speech-to-text transcription of the presentations and discussions. Please see the description below for the conference schedule as well as how to register.  We look forward to seeing you there.

The 6th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum

Archiving Korean Studies: The Position of Translators, Queers, and Archivists

∙DATE/TIME: January 8, 2022 (Sat) 10:00 AM - 18:00 PM (KST)

∙FORMAT: Virtual Conference via Zoom

∙Simultaneous Interpretation (Eng↔Kor) & Speech-to-Text Transcription will be provided.

∙Registration: Please register at  https://forms.gle/UXA7AViTVuJfKgmk8, we will send you a zoom invitation link prior to the date.

∙Hosted by Yonsei University: the Institute for Korean Studies, the Institute for the Study of Korean Modernity (HK⁺), and Underwood International College

The 6th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum, co-hosted by the Institute for Korean Studies (IKS), the Institute for the Study of Korean Modernity (ISKM), and the Underwood International College (UIC) at Yonsei University, will take place on January 8, 2022. In this forum, we reexamine both the foundation and formation of Korean Studies and East Asian Studies from the position of translators, queers, and archivists. This theme reflects not only existing trends in the recent publication or translation of noteworthy academic books in the field of Korean Studies, but also recognizes the complex intersection of ethnicity and minority issues. While there has been innovative research conducted from the perspective of translators, queers, and archivists, these trends have not received much attention from Korean Studies or East Asian Studies. Consequently, we seek to explore new paths of critical inquiry that incorporate these perspectives into the fields of Korean and East Asian Studies.

 Using the tradition of resistance and construction as a starting point, the 6th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum aims to highlight the movement of trends in translation, the complexity behind the formation of the Joseon Studies/Korean Studies system, and the translation of Korean Studies archives from queer positions. We ask how Korean Studies and East Asian Studies can sustain research activity that has not yet secured an established position in the existing archives of Korean Studies or not yet been included within established research fields. We ask in what direction the production and circulation of the archives in Korean Studies and East Asian Studies should advance within the intersection of existing power relations. To explore these questions, we are pleased to invite you to our forum and to welcome your expertise and experience to our discussions.

Conference Schedule (all times are KST)

Time

Presentation

Moderator

Jan 8 (SAT)

10:00-10:15

[Opening Remarks] Seongbo Kim (Director, Institute of Korean Studies)

Daeseong Chung

(ISKM)

10:15-10:30

[Welcoming Remarks] Helen Lee (Dean, Underwood International College)

10:30-12:10

Section 1. Circulations and Transitions in Korean Studies

[Book] Young Min Kim, The History of Modern Korean Fiction (1890-1945): The Topography of Literary Systems and Form, translated by Rachel Min Park (Lexington Books, 2020)

[Book] An Chunggǔn: His Life and Thought in His Own Words, edited, compiled, and translated by Jieun Han and Franklin Rausch (Brill, 2020)

[Book] Paek Nam-Nyong, Friend: A Novel from North Korea, translated by Immanuel Kim (Columbia University Press, 2020)

Seunghei Clara Hong (UIC)

[Roundtable]

Rachel Min Park (UC Berkeley), Jieun Han (Sogang Univ.), Franklin Rausch (Lander Univ.), and Immanuel Kim (George Washington Univ.)

[Q&A Period]

12:10:13:10

Lunch Break

13:10-13:55

Session 2: Queer Archives in Korean Studies, Between the Academy and the Field

[Book] Heaeun Chun, Walking through Queer Theories (Feminist Cultural Studies, 2021)

∙Presentation: Walking through Queer Theories across Other Space and Time / Heaeun Chun (Queer, Feminism, and Disability Studies Researcher)

[Book Review]

∙Presentation: Archiving about the Epistemologies of Queer Theories / ruin S. M. Pae (Institute for Trans/Gender/Queer Studies)

Harim Kim

(ISKM)

13:55-14:20

∙Presentation: Queer Feminist Theory in Asia: Reading and Resistance Across (Post)Colonial Spaces / Grace En-Yi Ting (Univ. of Hong Kong)

14:20-14:45

∙Presentation: Queering Archive and the Making of Queer History in Taiwan and South Korea / Eno Pei-Jean Chen (National Chengchi Univ.)

14:45-15:15

[Q&A Period]

15:15-15:30

Break

15:30-16:15

Section 3: Between Joseon Studies and Korean Studies

[Book] Itagaki Ryuta, The Linguist Who Crossed to North Korea, Kim Soo-Kyeong 1918-2000 (Inmun Seowon, 2021)

∙Presentation: The Linguist Who Crossed to North Korea, Kim Soo-Kyeong 1918-2000 / Itagaki Ryuta (Doshisha Univ.)

[Book Review]

∙Presentation: Concurring with the Suggestion of ‘Critical Korean Studies’ for Overcoming the Framework of Colonialism and the Cold War / Byungmoon Kim (ISKM)

Keehoon Lee (IKS)

16:15-17:00

[Book] Hatada Takashi, SYMPOSIUM Japan and Korea, translated by Miae Joo (Somyung Books, 2021)

∙Presentation: The Periphery of “Chōsen Studies” in the Postwar Period - Focusing on the Nihon Chōsen Kenkyūjo / Miae Joo (Sungkyunkwan Univ.)

[Book Review]

∙Presentation: Parentheses to Look Back at “Joseon Studies”: Unbalanced Solidarity, Zainichi Intellectuals, and the Third World / Eunae Cho (Dongguk Univ.)

17:00-17:30

[Q&A Period]

17:30-17:45

[Closing Remarks] Seok-ju Ko (Director, Institute for the Study of Korean Modernity)

Hang Kim (IKS)

Howard Kahm

Associate Professor

Underwood International College

Room 309, Building 514 (Daewoo Hall Annex) Yonsei University

50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea, 03722

Tel: 02-2123-3960