[KS] [NEW BOOK] We as Self: Ouri, Intersubjectivity, and Presubjectivity

Angel H Kim angelkim1982 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:42:46 EST 2021

We as Self
Ouri, Intersubjectivity, and Presubjectivity
HYE YOUNG KIM

We as Self argues for a notion of we-ness based not on a self-centered or a
self-less point of view, in which the “we” is only either a collection of
individuals or an anonymous whole, but on “relation.” This relation is
pre-subjective, meaning that the conscious, reflective, subjective self is
not the conceptual basis of the relation. The irreducible metaphysical
distinction between self and other is always there, but the awareness of it
is not prior to this relation, which is an ontological pre-condition of
self. Hye Young Kim demonstrates that the distinction and unity of self and
other in this relation can be comprehended spatially by applying knot
logic. The author analyzes certain linguistic practices in Korean to show
one representation of pre-subjective we-ness in language, but not in an
ethnographical manner. By doing so, the author criticizes and challenges
the Eurocentric tendency of philosophy and contributes to efforts to expand
diversity in philosophy.

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781498554657/We-as-Self-Ouri-Intersubjectivity-and-Presubjectivity

TOC

I. We in Korean? Why

1. We

2. Language

3. Alternative Reference Points

4. In Korean

5. Translation of Philosophy

II. We in Korean

1. *Ouri* in Korean

2. Our husband

3. Inclusive and Exclusive We

4. Two Levels of We-ness in Conversation

5. *Jeohi*

6. Nosism

III. Self in Korean

1. Self in Korean: *Jagi*

2. You in Korean: *Neo* and *Dangsin*

3. To Be and To Have: *itda *in Korean

IV. Self as Subject

1.      Subject

1-1.            Subject and Object

1-2.            Intentionality

1-3.            Reflection

1-4.            I, the Subject

2.      Passive Subject

2-1.            Subject of Experience

2-2.            A-temporality of Self: Minimal Self

2-3.            Non-conceptual Self-Consciousness

2-4.            Non-reflective Self-Consciousness

3.      Active Subject

3-1.            Temporality of Self: Narrative Self

3-2.            Subject of Action

3-3.            Coherence of Life

3-4.            Intersubjectivity

4.      Medio-Passive Subject

4-1.            Self, Other, We

4-2.            Middle Voice

V. Self in Pre-subjective Relation

1. Self-in-Relation: Self as We

2. Pre-subjective Self

3. Historical-Political Problem of Subjectivity

4. Humanity as Pre-subjective We

VI. Self-in-Relation and Pre-subjective We: Mathematical Representation

1. Inside and Outside: Primary Boundary

2. Knot-Set Theory for Self-Membership

3. Knot Logic: Linking as Mutuality

4. Crossing as Relation and the Bodily Imagination of Space

VII. We in Diagrams

1. Our Husband in Diagrams

2. Our Husband in Knots

3. Triad of Self-Other-Thing

4. Primary Relation in Pre-subjective Self

VIII. Primacy of We?

1. Identity as Community

2. Brain in a Vat

3. Pre-reflective Plural Self-Awareness

4. Undifferentiated Anonymity

5. Crowd

6. Das Man in *Being and Time*

7. We as Plural Subject

8. Ἄλλος Aὐτός

9. Pre-Subjective as A-Subjective?

IX. Notion of Relation

1. I-You and I-It by Buber

2. Mutual Knowledge: Relational Analysis

3. *Geosigi*: The Thing that You Know and I Know and I Know that You Know

X. Feelings and Corporeality

1. Contagion

2. Feelings: Bodily Self

3. Emotional Contagion, Shared Feelings, Intercorporeality

4. Involvement, Relationship, and To Feel With: Empathy by Heller

XI. Collective Memory: Boundary, Place, and Home

            1. Collective Identity and Cultural Memory of the Koryo Saram

            2. Border, Place, and World

            3. Cosmopolitanism

            4. Place of the Other

5. Multiple We’s and the Outsider: *Ourideul* and *Geu*

6. The Feeling of Saying *Ouri*: Being at Home

XII. Epilogue. Violence of the We

Lexington Books

Pages: 256 • Trim: 6 x 9

978-1-4985-5465-7 • Hardback • December 2020

Hye Young Kim, PhD

Associate Researcher

Husserl Archive - pays germaniques

Ecole Normal Supérieure