[KS] CFA: Advanced Topics in Digital Korean Studies: International Symposia & Project Incubation Program

Javier Cha javiercha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 14:12:22 EDT 2021

CFA: Advanced Topics in Digital Korean Studies: International Symposia
& Project Incubation Program
18 to 30 May 2022 at Seoul National University
23 to 25 June 2022 at the University of Copenhagen

The uses and application of digital methods have become commonplace in
Korean studies. Despite the challenges caused by the Covid-19
pandemic, the superb collection of online archives and digital
libraries made academic research about Korea possible. This heightened
awareness of the field’s digital transformation begs the question: who
created those databases, and how do we utilize them effectively?
Javier Cha at Seoul National University and Barbara Wall at the
University of Copenhagen aim to bring together pioneers, early
adopters, and the next generation of Koreanists who have employed
digital methods in their research in a two-part event. Our goal is to
create venues for exchanging ideas and offer networking opportunities
across career stages.

>From May 18th to 30th, 2022, the College of Liberal Studies at Seoul
National University will host an international symposium and project
incubation program. A small number of early-career and senior scholars
will be connected to cutting-edge researchers in East Asia-related
digital humanities research and have their own project developed with
the help and guidance of leading experts. Topics to be discussed
include: text analysis (literary Sinitic, modern standard Korean,
North Korean corpora, and South Korean neologisms and slang); web
scraping and data preprocessing using BeautifulSoup, Selenium, and
ElementTree; network data in Gephi, Cytoscape, and Neo4j; applied
computer vision; audio data; the materiality of data; gamification;
and digital humanities pedagogy.

If you are interested in joining the May incubation program at Seoul
National University, please send a statement of purpose, a CV, and a
summary of your digital project or data set via
https://forms.gle/vbg7BP52vd1U5Crb9 by January 15th, 2022. Please note
that participation will be restricted to individuals and teams with a
concrete digital project and are able to commit to the entire 13-day
schedule from May 18th to May 30th, 2022. Participants who wish to
stay on campus at Hoam Faculty House’s Deluxe Room may choose to do so
at the discounted rate of ₩133,650 per night or ₩1,737,450 for 13
nights. A limited number of complimentary rooms will be made available
for researchers who express financial needs. Please note that the
final confirmation for Hoam bookings must be made before February
17th, 2022.

>From June 23th to 25th, 2022, the Korean Studies Programme at the
University of Copenhagen will host a follow-up event. The June event
intends to bring together the contributors to The Digital Turn in
Korean Studies special issue of Korean Studies, which is co-edited by
Javier Cha and Barbara Wall and planned to be published in spring
2023. In addition, participants in the May incubation program will be
asked to present the results of their pilot research to exchange
feedback and foster the growth of digital Korean studies in a
cooperative and collaborative manner.

Due to its nature and aims, both May and June events will be conducted
in-person. Some keynote lectures, however, will be considered for
streaming in a hybrid conference format.
Please note that both May and June events may be rescheduled or
canceled pursuant to the Covid-19 policies of South Korea and Denmark,
respectively. Prospective participants are asked to plan accordingly.

https://digitalkoreanstudies.github.io/advanced-topics-2022/

--
Javier Cha
Associate Professor of East Asian Studies

Principal Investigator
Big Data Studies Lab
https://bigdatastudies.net/