[KS] Gari Ledyard’s Obituary

George L Kallander glkallan at syr.edu
Sat Nov 13 22:57:20 EST 2021

Dear Korean Studies Community,

Professor Gari Ledyard’s daughters wrote an obituary that I would like to share with you all—a straightforward summary of who he was and what he meant to everyone. The family will be holding a small gathering in northern New Jersey on Saturday morning (November 20) at the church where Gari and Lori Ledyard were married. Please contact me for any additional information:

October 29, 2021 - We are sad to announce the death of Gari Keith Ledyard, who died peacefully at home of complications related to Alzheimer’s at the age of 89. Gari is survived by his beloved wife, Lori Sinkevich Ledyard, his brother Thomas Alan Ledyard, his children from his first marriage to Evelyn S. Ledyard, Kathleen, Kristine and Brynna, and his grandchildren Tate, Bonnie, Olivia, Cabell, Kira and Gilly. Gari was born in Syracuse, NY to M. Keith and Helen (Marble) Ledyard and spent his childhood in Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan. His college years in Michigan and California were interrupted when he joined the Army and went to Korea as an interpreter, where he discovered an aptitude for languages and a lifelong love of Korea that led to his eventual career at Columbia University as King Sejong Professor of Korean Studies - a field he helped found. He retired in 2000 and enjoyed many happy years with his wife, hiking, streaming opera and continuing to study. His genial and curious approach to life and his love of music characterized him even as he succumbed to Alzheimer’s. He will be remembered as a learned but modest scholar and a loving husband, brother, father and grandfather.

Sincerely,
George Kallander
Associate Professor of History
Director, East Asia Program at the Moynihan Institute
Graduate Director, Department of History
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University