[KS] Announcement: Korean Council Webinar Series

Ruth Sangree rs6700 at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 11 04:10:20 EDT 2021

JOIN: The Korean Council Webinar Series

The Korean Council's webinar program seeks to provide in-depth and
intersectional understanding of the Japanese military sexual slavery issue
for transnational English-speaking youth participants. Planned by a
transnational youth organizing committee, the webinars will provide a space
for remembrance, education, and empowerment for youth who want to learn
more about the issue and get involved in the movement for justice.

[image: 🦋]Webinar Registration: bit.ly/kcweb21

[image: 🦋]*Webinar 1: Remembrance and Redress*

Oct 22 6pm PST / 8pm CST / 9pm EST / Oct 23 10am KST

*“Memory is often owned, history interpreted. Memory is passed down through
generations; history is revised.” - David W. Blight Remembrance is more
than a mere acknowledgement of what had happened in the past. It is a form
of social activism. An effective tool to ensure the tragedy of the past
will never happen again. However, memory can also be twisted to erase the
voices of the past and allow the same atrocities to repeat itself in a
vicious cycle. This webinar explores the legacies and memories of the
Japanese Military Sexual Slavery System. At a time where sexual violence
against women remains prevalent, what can we do to safeguard the lived
experiences of the victim-survivor and ensure they are not forgotten? What
lessons can the past teach us about the present and the future? *

[image: 🦋]*Webinar 2: Transnational Solidarity*

Oct 29 6pm PST / 8pm CST / 9pm EST / Oct 23 10am KST

*In this session, we invite activists from diverse backgrounds to share
their experiences in transnational, cross-sector collaboration formed over
the past few decades to address the “comfort women” issue. Further, we hope
to highlight the importance of the Japanese Military Sexual Slavery issue
as a historical epitome of the systematic sexual violence against women,
especially during armed conflicts, that has lasted until today. Through
exploring different forms of activism, we will also discuss what we can do
to help with the “comfort women” movement for resolution, redress, and
reconciliation. We hope to inspire our participants to further educate
themselves and get involved in activism related to the “comfort women”
issue as well as other contemporary forms of sexual violence.*

Each webinar session will be accompanied by a film screening to enrich
participants’ understanding of the Japanese military sexual slavery system.
The films will be available on a password-protected link for the audience
to watch at any time between the following two-day time slots.

[image: 🦋]Film Screening Registration: bit.ly/kcwebfilm

[image: 🦋]*Film Screenings*

Oct 14-16: *Shusenjo*

Oct 21-23: *22*

Oct 28-30: *The Apology*

Nov 4-6: *My Name is Kim Bok-dong*

Thank you for your time and consideration! Please pass along to your
networks as appropriate.

Best,
Ruth
--

Ruth Sangree

*Pronouns: she/her/hers*

Fulbright Research Scholar to South Korea

J.D. Candidate, New York University School of Law