[KS] "K-pop fandom in Mexico: Transnational performances of race and gender"

Soyeon Kim soyeon.kim at monash.edu
Sun Apr 17 10:45:35 EDT 2022

Dear Korean Studies members,

I would like to invite you to register for the forthcoming talk at Monash
University in Melbourne, Australia.
*Monash University Korean Studies Research Hub (MUKSRH)* has been holding
seminars on various topics related to Korean Studies, and our series for
this year has a number of interesting talks.
The second talk is going to be held next Thursday (AEST) as an
online seminar. Please see the details below:

The Monash University Korean Studies Research Hub (MURSRH) is proud to
present:

*"K-pop fandom in Mexico: Transnational performances of race and gender"*

by *Dr. J**oyhanna Yoo Garza* (postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University)

*28th April Thursday 11am (AEST)*

*Abstract *

Racialized performances within a mediatized transnational frame, are
frequently prone to circulation in contexts not original to their
production, as well as uptake from disparate, perhaps even unintended,
publics. Such performances warrant an analysis that explores the tensions
and uneven processes inherent to such exchange. Within the now-globalized
genre of K-pop, the subgenre of K-pop dance cover features groups which
recreate the dance choreography of K-pop bands. These dance cover groups
frequently engage in cross-gender and cross-racial performance. In this
talk, I examine the racialized gendered performances of such K-pop fans in
the Mexican context who also participate in digital K-pop fandoms. More
specifically, I show how they use linguistic and embodied forms which index
Korean hegemonic femininity and how such performances are taken up amid
converging interpretive frames.

Rather than read such practices as determined by the consumerist influence
of K-pop, I argue that their performances constitute
socioculturally-specific contestations of personhood and power. Based on
face-to-face and digital ethnography of K-pop fans in Mexico, I present a
multimodal semiotic analysis of fans’ mediatized performances. In so doing,
I elucidate how such performers tap into transnational, multilingual fandom
networks to perform appropriate fan identities and to assert their own
queer, aspirational cosmopolitan desires through digital recognition.

*Bio*

Dr Joyhanna Yoo Garza is a sociocultural linguist who examines language,
race, and gender from an ethnographic lens, particularly in mediatized
contexts. She is currently a College Fellow in the Department of
Anthropology at Harvard and completed her PhD in Linguistics at UC Santa
Barbara. Her research takes a semiotic approach to the study of language
with a focus on transnational Korean popular culture and its consumption in
Mexico and the US. Joy has a secondary research interest in Asian American
racialization in contexts of higher education and is especially passionate
about student-centered teaching, mentorship, and student advocacy.
[image: image.png]

Please register here!

*https://forms.gle/j2kohn2ZdE9CMEib7 <https://forms.gle/j2kohn2ZdE9CMEib7>*

Registration closes on *2**6th April (next Tuesday/AEST)*.

Best regards,

*Soyeon Kim*

PhD candidate/ Teaching associate
Monash University Korean Studies Research Hub (MUKSRH) research assistant
School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics
Monash University
Clayton, Victoria, 3800
Australia

Email: Soyeon.Kim at monash.edu

"*Swearing Granny Restaurants: An International Perspective on Rudeness in
Korean*"
*https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-90761-7_9
<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-90761-7_9>*