[KS] Inquiry regarding the North Korea image in early-1990s South Korea

p.vierthaler at yahoo.de p.vierthaler at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 9 02:16:05 EST 2022

Dear group members, a quick question to the crowd:

Do you know of any good studies on the image of North Korea in South Korea from 1989 to the mid-1990s?
I am aware that the crossing into the North (and eventual later arrests on base of the National Security Law) regarding people like 20 year old Im Su-gyeong, pastor Mun Ik-hwan, novelist Hwang Seok-yeong or former activist (and later "New Right") Kim Yeong-hwan caused a stir in SK society.
I am also aware that since the late 1990s, a number of former NL-faction (pro-NK) student activists felt disillusion with the North Korean reality of famine and economic collapse, embracing "liberalism" (the so-called "converted 386 / 전향385").
Now I basically wonder if there are any academic studies out there that detail just how information on the "harsh realities" of NK society reached SK in the early years after democratization, and how this eventually contributed to the emergence of the "converted 386" by the late 1990s. I.e. an analysis of eventually published texts, of media reporting, etc. etc. I do know of 김정인 (2017). "전향우익 분석," 문화과학 91, pp. 84-105 but this paper is a bit too narrow in its analysis for my needs.
Thanks in advance!
--------Patrick VIERTHALER PhD Student
Department of Contemporary History
Graduate School of Letters Kyoto University 606-8501 Kyoto JAPAN
京都大学大学院 文学研究科現代史学専修  博士後期課程

Tel.: +81 - 80 - 2294 - 6434
HP: https://pvierthaler.wixsite.com/pv9007
--------