[KS] can you kindly post the following??

Todd Henry tahenry at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 14 13:30:34 EST 2022

We are pleased to announce the third and last in a series of three Zoom
workshops on the theme of “QUEERING THE STRAITS: UNRULY SUBJECTS ACROSS
MODERN KOREAN AND JAPANESE STUDIES.” These workshops are intended to
facilitate greater communication and collaboration among scholars of Japan
and Korea who work on issues of gender and sexuality, often in isolation
from one another. We believe that such “queer” dialogues across borders and
cultures offer a challenging yet vital opportunity to forge new
intellectual and institutional bonds at a time when powerful forces
continue to silence, erase, and marginalize seemingly minor subjects and
their important points of view.
The upcoming workshop, “CHALLENGING THE ‘NORMAL’ IN COLD WAR SOUTH KOREA
AND JAPAN,” will take place over the weekend of 11–13 February 2022. (See
below for a detailed schedule.) This final workshop considers the
intersections of postcolonial sentiment, Cold War capitalism, and
cross-border travel in the wake of Japanese imperialism and US military
occupation. By examining the circulation of bodies, goods, and ideas across
national, regional, and other types of spatial boundaries, the three papers
seek new ways of understanding the normative configurations of sexual
practice, corporeal embodiment, and gender performance that helped sustain
a superficially stable, yet deeply fractured, Cold War order in Northeast
Asia.
Preregistration is required for this event. We particularly invite the
participation of scholars whose work focuses on gender and sexuality in
East Asia. To register, please fill out our RSVP form by February 10:
https://forms.gle/z1xbiAYiyDyWfexS6
<https://forms.gle/z1xbiAYiyDyWfexS6?fbclid=IwAR2z3Lxx-joI4UQtef9oxk90fqVjFVr7BVQQOEpRxivvGVL5OqUKJ0Nw9F8>
A day or two before the start of the workshop, we will send an email to all
registered participants with a link to the event. If you have any questions
or trouble with registration, please email us at
queeringthestraits at gmail.com.
This series of workshops is funded by the Academy of Korean Studies; the
Center for Korean Research at Columbia University; the Columbia University
Alumni Association of Korea; the Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture
(Columbia); the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures (Columbia);
the Hajime Mori Chair in Japanese Language and Literature at the University
of California, San Diego; Transnational Korean Studies (UCSD); and the
Weatherhead East Asian Institute (Columbia). The organizers thank these
institutions and individuals for their generous support.
Todd Henry
Greg Pflugfelder

--
Todd A. Henry, PhD

Associate Professor, History Department, UCSD
Inaugural Director, Transnational Korean Studies
Faculty Affiliate, Critical Gender Studies, Science Studies, and Film
Studies