[KS] The 50th anniversary conference of the Korean Cinema Association Forum on “What is the Cinema?”

광우 노 nkw88 at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 03:26:37 EDT 2022

The 50th anniversary conference of the Korean Cinema Association
Forum on “What is the Cinema?”
Many textbooks describing the history of the cinema call December 28 of 1895 as its 'birthday'. On that day, the world's first film made by the Lumière brothers was screened in Paris, France. The cinema, ‘born’ with the condition of the film, screen, and audience, has constantly grown as a movement-image of expression and recording over the past 130 years. The emergence of sound films, the fusion of film and sound, and the advent of color films, which applied hue to film, have changed its way of being.
The researchers, who had difficulties in encompassing the stylistic categories extended to various expressions and structures, and the regional categories that had spread to the world, attempted to lighten the subject by segmenting the film into several branches. They explored the genre films represented by melodrama, action, horror, comedy, and sci-fi, and researched the masters and masterpieces of the century from European films such as France, Germany, Italy, and Spain to Hollywood, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, and Korea.
However, with the era of ‘digital transformation’, film is no longer considered as an essential tool of cinema. The name ‘film’ is now being literally threatened. The advent of the mobile communication and the OTT platform era is strengthening the skeptical view of the cinema's traditional conditions such as screen and audience. The unexpected COVID-19 pandemic is also seen as a serious crisis for its way of existence. The role of the theater as the physical platform that films must pass through to reach their audience is being challenged.
This situation is also affecting the film industry and policy making. It brought questions about how to understand the status of the industry and establish policies for support and regulation by defining and stipulating the concept of film. All subjects of film planning and production, distribution, policy making and execution, audience, and research are all experiencing chaos of senses standing in the midst of unsettled changes. Hence we would like to ask: “What is the cinema?”
Founded in 1972, the Korean Cinema Association has been leading ‘research on the cinema’ in Korea and research on ‘Korean films’ for the past half century. In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the founding, we would like to ask and share fundamental questions about film again. We would like to hear the answers from global researchers who have devoted themselves to cinema research and experts who have explored films in the field of film planning, production, and policy making.
Any domain or perspective is welcome such as aesthetics, art, philosophy, history, genre, author, work, education, technology, industry or policy. Concise articles are preferred to lengthy speculations or explanations. We hope at least 100 global experts could be involved in this event. The number 100 means to look back on the 50-year history of the Korean Cinema Association and plan for the next 50 years.
We are trying to gather the polyphonic voices about the cinema together and compile it into a book, and open up a forum for discussion. Here and now we want to confront the huge challenge we face with an open-minded discussions on “what is the cinema?” We encourage the participation of various views regarding the film industry.
【Important Notice】
+ Manuscript submission: https://forms.gle/jMaBeULbuANkCkrV9<https://forms.gle/jMaBeULbuANkCkrV9?fbclid=IwAR2AlE0qc75Szu3czewgKfeSKpC01xeJM1CPtTrHz6SUD8-UpVgM3zkF9bU>
+ Deadline of Manuscript: June 30, 2022
+ Length of Manuscript: Written in one of the following languages
- Around 3,500 words (2 A4 pages) in Korean (including spaces)
- Around 2,000 words in English
- Around 2,000 words in Chinese
- Around 3,000 words in Japanese
+ Format of Manuscript: MS Word file only (Please refer to the attached manuscript form)
+ Book publishing
- Editing: After reviewing the submitted manuscript by the committee, it will be included in the compilation and published (individual contact)
- When: November 2022
- Publisher: TBD
+ Academic conference
- Presentation: If any of the authors wish to make a presentation, the decision is made after the committee's review (no participation fee and no presentation honorarium)