[KS] Fwd: [CALL FOR APPLICATIONS] 2023 U-M Manuscript Workshop for Junior Faculty

ncks info ncks.info at umich.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:00:28 EDT 2022

Application Deadline: January 13, 2023
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/5ae223bcb37b/nam-center-events-this-week-15341829?e=bc09d765bf>
*Call for Applications*

*2023 U-M Manuscript Workshop for Junior Faculty*

Application Deadline: January 13, 2023

The University of Michigan Nam Center for Korean Studies is accepting
applications for the 2023 Junior Faculty Manuscript Workshop, to be held in
Ann Arbor, Michigan on *Saturday, May 13, 2023*. The workshop will provide
an opportunity for two scholars preparing their tenure books (or other
similarly substantial academic publication) to receive critical feedback
from senior faculty mentors in their own or adjacent fields, in order to
further develop their manuscripts for publication.

Applicants will be asked to nominate senior faculty members to serve as
commentators for their workshop and commit to circulating the manuscript to
the faculty mentors one month in advance of the workshop.
As part of the Nam Center’s mission to foster an intergenerational network
of scholars in Korean studies, the workshop participants will also be asked
to serve as discussants for the 2023 International Conference of NextGen
Korean Studies Scholars (NEKST). This graduate conference will take place
on May 12-13, 2023.

*This workshop is made possible by the generous support of the Academy of
Korean Studies.*

*Eligibility and Application*
Junior tenure-track faculty at any North American institution from any
field in the social sciences and humanities, whose research is related to
Korea, are encouraged to apply. Special consideration will be given to
applicants whose manuscript is nearing completion and/or applicants from
institutions in the Midwest and the Big Ten Academic Alliance.
Applicants will need to submit the following materials:

   - CV
   - Statement of Interest (no longer than 500 words)
   - An annotated table of contents of the manuscript, if available
   - Two representative chapters out of the manuscript
   - A list of two preferred faculty mentors and two alternates

Please e-mail applications to: ncks.applications at umich.edu
Use the subject line:* [LAST NAME_First Name] Michigan KS Manuscript
Workshop*

<https://umich.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f882dcf6ab063572b2dcdc517&id=c781ef53b9&e=bc09d765bf>
*Here is what some past participants have said about the workshop
experience:*
*“The U-M Junior Faculty Manuscript Workshop in 2022 was a momentous
opportunity for me to transform my writing into something more inviting. It
was my privilege to have two experienced, insightful, and caring senior
mentors in the intimate and intense setting uniquely arranged by the Nam
Center. I highly recommend this invaluable resource for any first-book
writers in our growing field of Korean studies.”*
*We Jung Yi*, Assistant Professor of Asian Studies, Vanderbilt University

*“I participated in the Manuscript Workshop in August 2020 with the first
draft of my book manuscript. The two mentors helped me revise the structure
of the book and develop a stronger conceptual framework. Their feedback
also gave me clarity about how I could tell the story in a more convincing
and engaging way. Most importantly, I learned the lesson that a creation of
an intellectual dialogue—in book form—requires numerous conversations not
just on the content level but also about my own identity as a
writer-scholar. This lesson has sustained me over the past two years, and I
am excited to share that my book, Celluloid Democracy: Cinema and Politics
in Cold War South Korea, will be out in Fall 2023.”*
*Hieyoon Kim*, Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison

*“The U-M Junior Faculty Manuscript Workshop gave me an opportunity to
receive in-depth feedback from established senior scholars in Korean
literary studies early in my manuscript revision process. It also helped me
forge lasting relationships with other junior colleagues who participated
in the workshop. I am grateful for the experience and still think back to
many of the points shared about my work during those fruitful sessions.”*
*Jae Won Chung,* Assistant Professor of Korean Studies, Rutgers University

*“The U-M Junior Faculty Manuscript Workshop afforded me the cherished
opportunity to meet renowned experts in my field and to receive their
in-person comments on my manuscript. Professor Mitchell Lerner and Dr. Katy
Oh-Hassig offered mentoring and invaluable advice on the publishing
process. With their expeditious and supportive guidance, I gained
confidence about many ways to improve my manuscript. The cordial UMichigan
faculty and staff offered kind and generous assistance with my travels and
all logistics of attending the workshop, making the experience comfortable
and rewarding in all the intangible ways that warm hospitality can offer. I
am forever indebted to the Nam Center of Korean Studies and Director
Youngju Ryu for organizing and hosting this workshop.”*
*Peter Banseok Kwon*, Assistant Professor of Korean Studies, University at
Albany, SUNY

See more of our upcoming events!
<https://umich.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f882dcf6ab063572b2dcdc517&id=3cfd872e91&e=bc09d765bf>

Nam Center for Korean Studies, University of Michigan

--
-----
Suite 400 Weiser Hall | 500 Church St.