[KS] CFP for 'Korean Youth: Spaces, Ecologies and Technologies' conference at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland on 19th/20th June, 2023.

Robert Winstanley-Chesters R.Winstanley-Chesters at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 11:10:50 EST 2023

posted on behalf of Korean Studies at the University of Edinburgh

Korean Studies at the University of Edinburgh is pleased to announce a conference titled: Korean Youth: Spaces, Ecologies and Technologies which will be held at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland on the 19th/20th June, 2023.

The twentieth century has been conceptualised as an era of youth, in which the teenager, the tweenager and the pre-teen were invented. Rapid social changes across the globe, liberalising economic and social norms and reconfigurations of governmental, social and industrial-business complexes have transformed the landscapes in which these seemingly new categories of young people live, work, play and move. While the teenager did not necessarily arrive late in Korea, young people had been through a series of recent conflicts, revolutions, colonisations and traumas which would surely impact their experience of youth culture and possibilities. South Korean young people had been key agents of its democratisation and justice struggles, even at their most violent, so are deeply embedded in the processes of contemporary cultural and social formation in their country.

Given all of this, this conference aims to give PhD and graduate students, young and emerging scholars, post-doctoral scholars, established academics, practitioners and others focused on Korean youth and youth cultures as it/they encounter and connect with the political, social, economic, environmental and cultural transformations both in Korea and across the globe in the present or near present day. We intend this conference to be multi or inter-disciplinary in every way, and to explore the cutting edges of youth experience in twenty-first century Korea, navigating spaces and terrains such as the workplaces and industries of the future, landscapes of social and cultural practice, social organisation, political resistance and struggle, environmental and ecological futures, as well as the terrains of nationalist reconstruction, gender, identity and culture wars. We hope the conference will give a really concrete opportunity to present research, share academic interests, and strengthen ties with others, exploring various fields and disciplines focused on young Koreans and the spaces they create, occupy, are subjected to, and imagine.

Venue and Dates

Venue: University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland

Conference dates: 19 – 20 June 2023

Schedule:

19 June: Conference (full day) – Playfair Library and 50 George Square

20 June: Conference (full day) – 50 George Square

Presentations

Potential topics for presentations might revolve around subject such as:

  *   Constructing space, politics and self
  *   Korean, identity, sex and gender terrains
  *   Queer Korean youth, spaces and struggles
  *   Korean young people and climate change/crisis, resistance, eco-anxieties
  *   North Korean youth spaces
  *   Spaces of work and labour in Korea, young people and AI, young people and e-sports, new and future forms of work
  *   More general and differently defined/conceptualised proposals will be considered.

All successful applicants will be expected to give a 30-minute time slot (20 minutes presentation + 10 minutes Q&A)

Application and Submission of Abstracts

Applicants should submit the following information by e-mail to:

1) your full name as you would like it to appear in the abstract booklet

2) contact info (e-mail and telephone)

3) major area of study (region and discipline)

4) title of your paper

5) one-page (250 words max.) abstract in print-ready format, including your name and institution

6) The file with the paper & the information should be named as follows:

We accept applications in English. Presentations at the conference should be in English. We do not expect full paper submissions to be prepared before the conference, but we welcome it, and we will collect submissions from interested parties after the conference for the production and publication of a special section in a relevant, well indexed and ranked academic journal.

You will be sent a confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation within 5 days after you sent it, please send your application again.

Application Period

The deadline for applications is March 10th, 2023.

We will contact all applicants by March 20th regarding the acceptance of their applications.

Cancelling Your Participation

We would like to receive applications only from those who are definitely able to attend the convention. Please, bear in mind that applicants who confirm and then later cancel their participation potentially deprive others of the chance of attending and lead to a waste of resources.

Organizer contact details: r.winstanley-chesters at ed.ac.uk

IMPORTANT DATES for the Conference:

Conference dates: June 19th – June 20th, 2023

Application deadline: March 10th, 2023

Notification letter: March 20th, 2023

Last date to cancel your participation: May 1st, 2023