[KS] Qing–Chosŏn royal exchanges or marriages?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Sep 19 20:02:24 EDT 2023

Dear All:

Apologies, but I seem to have forgotten if I never even came across any
information about the following issue. Maybe someone has a definitive
answer?

I am aware that Crown Prince Sohyŏn spent many years in what is now
Shenyang—albeit under forced circumstances. However, what I'm actually
curious about is whether, during Qing times, there were any instances
of royal intermarriages occurring "in the other direction," whereby
members of the Manchu Chinese royal family found themselves residing in
Korea. Alternatively, were there any cases, aside from the usual
diplomatic delegations and travel, of members of the Qing royal family
living in Korea or other Asian countries for reasons beyond these
traditional activities?

Thanks!
Frank