[KS] A chopsticks question

minandsung minandsung at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 17 19:11:46 EST 2003

I don't remember that I ever saw anybody sell or use wooden (or bamboo) chopsticks in Korea except disposable ones exclusively used in Chinese or Japanese restaurants. They used metal ones in Korean restaurants as well as at home. In each household every member has his or her own set of silver ( brass if they cannot afford silver) spoon and chopsticks. I still keep my tiny childhood spoon in the kitchen drawer. The first time I saw wooden chopsticks was sometime in the 60s through the classic movie "the Good Earth" and watched with curiosity the scene the heroine was washing a few sets of chopstics by rubbing and rolling between her palms. Korean chopsticks are hard to roll because they are heavier and one end where you grab is typically made flat. I found bamboo chopstics were extremely convenient to use and have been using them since I came to US 24 years ago.The reason Koreans use metal ones is - this is pure guess - perhaps Koreans use spoon a lot and they always made spoon from metal, and naturally chopsticks, too. Japanese on the other hand, do not use spoons. They use chopsticks to have even soup. Also Japan produces more wood than Korea...so they have wooden chopsticks. Chinese...maybe they have more bamboos?

Sung Cho
E-mail: minandsung at sbcglobal.net