[KS] (street) map of Keijo

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 6 22:17:46 EDT 2006

Dear Dr. Cwiertka:

This, fortunately, is an easy question to answer!  The University of Texas's
Perry-Castaneda Map Collection includes a copy of a highly detailed map of
Seoul from 1946, published by the U.S. Army Map Service.  Although the
map--entitled "Kyongsong or Seoul (Keijo)"--was published in the 1940s, much
of the data used dates back to 1929 and 1937 (detailed information on
sources is given in the upper left-hand part of the map), and thus should
give a reasonably reliable snapshot of how the city looked in at least the
late 1930s.

The map includes the city and the surrounding countryside (now all part of
the city, of course!), as far north as Hyehwa-dong (along Daehangno), east
to roughly Wangsimni, south to Noryangjin, and west to Yeoui-do.  Contours,
vegetation, marshland, built-up areas, villages, names and outlines of major
buildings (palaces, government offices, hospitals, schools, universities),
streetcar lines, railway tracks, streets, lanes, alleys, streams, parks,
city and palace walls and gates, even the Changgyeong zoo--all in glorious
colour--you name it, it's there.  Please forgive me for the hyperbole, but
this map provides and unbelievable wealth of historical information.

As an added bonus, virtually all place names are given in both romanized
Korean (complete with diacritics) _and_ romanized Japanese--thus enabling
correlation of colonial-era and modern-day place names--with a fair bit of
English thrown in.  The only drawbacks are the absence of Han'gu^l and
Hancha (see the end of this message for more), and the omission of street
names--but a quick check against any modern-day map will fill in the gaps.
The city had not yet been reorganized into _gu_ and _dong_, but the name of
many _jeongs_ ("-jo^ng" on the map; Japanese "-machi") are the same as the
_dongs_ that replaced them.

The map is available online at the University of Texas Perry-Castaneda
Library Map Collection's website, on its Korea page
(http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/korea.html), in the last entry of the
section "Historical Maps."  The entire map may be accessed here:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/seoul_city_plans_1946.jpg

but note that at 7.6 MB, it's a very big file and may take a while to finish
opening.  (An option would be to save a copy of the file to your local
computer, rather than open it directly in your web browser).  Smaller
excerpts from the map may be accessed via the first link
(http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/korea.html).

Finally, for a quick overview of a few contemporary street, neighbourhood,
and landmark names in Korean script compare the names of streetcar stops in
these two streetcar line maps:
http://www.seoul.go.kr/life/life/culture/history_book/picture_seoul2/7/1203339_3020.html
(first image; Han'gu^l; circa 1939) and
http://seoul600.visitseoul.net/seoul-history/sidaesa/image/photos/4-12g.jpg
(Hancha; circa 1946).  (Note that the 1939 map is a computer-drawn replica
of a map probably originally printed in Hancha, and that a few of the stop
names are likely anachronistic.)

Yours,
Stefan Ewing

***