[KS] A Question about pukkando

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 09:59:04 EDT 2006

Try http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/tgn/index.html

  and, for example enter Mukden  and China--you may be pleased with the result?

  Ed Rockstein

Brother Anthony <ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr> wrote:
  From time to time I have to translate Korean texts that refer (using Hangeul to indicate Korean
pronunciation) to places (such as Pukkando) in what was Manchuria. It is my understanding that such place
names should be given (in an English translation) using their standard Chinese transcription (or at least a
note should indicate it). Is there an easily available resource, online or in print, allowing one to
identify places with their various names (past and present) in Korean, Chinese, and English? In adddition,
the way places have changed their names (Mukden, Port Arthur for example) makes this very difficult (to say
nothing of Pukkando being "the _southeastern_ part of Manchuria"!) and how should Pukkando be referred to
in English translation? "Pukkando" has only 15 entries on the whole Internet! It would be really useful to
have a single comprehensive guide. (Of course it would also be very useful if I knew Chinese and how to
transcribe it regularly, but dreams are dreams).

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/

                        Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "
  Edmund Burke