[KS] Dear Leader

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 21:10:26 EDT 2006

Dear Andriy & Michael

"Suryo^ng-nim" is just "leader". "Dear leader" is a usual English rendering of "Chin'aeha'nu^n chidoja" and is a standard epithet for Kim Cho^ng-il.  Kim's father was known, inter alia, as "kyo^ng'aeha'nu^n suryo^ng-nim," another epithet standardly rendered in English as "Respected and Beloved Leader."  The "Nodongdang"/"Rodongdang") is translated regularly as the "[Korean] Workers Party," in English and is often abbrievated KWP.  Kim Cho^ng-il is the General Secretary ("Ch'ong Piso^.")

Doc Rock

Andriy Ryzhkov <andy_kim at ukr.net> wrote: Dear Michael,
"Dear leader" sounds like "suryong-nim" in Korean and is still used to address Kim Jeon Il,
but this term is used mostly in North Korea (he may also be called "Kim Jeong Il rodong-dang piseo" which means "The secretary of labour party", which is more official, but I`m not sure about the correctness of this term).  In "suryong-nim" "suryong" is Sino-Korean word which stands for "the leader" and "~nim" is a honorific suffix of pure Korean origin. As for South Korea, he is usually called "Kim Jeong Il gugpang wiweon-jang" or "chairman of National defence committee".
I`m not sure whether my reply is satisfactory...
Best regards,
Ryzhkov Andriy,
PhD candidate
National Taras Shevchenko university of Kyiv.

                        Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "
  Edmund Burke