[KS] Brian Hwang's Discussion Question (Tae Gyun Park)

Eugene Y. Park epa at sas.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 16 01:56:26 EDT 2012

Dear all,

My contribution here is strictly anecdotal rather than research-based.
Two my of my relatives (i.e. my grandmother's younger first-cousins)
both volunteered (chawo(n, ??) and both came from families that were
financially struggling. At the time, both were active-duty soldiers in
the ROK army. One did end up going to Vietnam and died when the
helicopter that he was on was shot down. Another one, whom I got to chat
with about all this last summer, told me that he volunteered to go to
Vietnam as promised incentives were very attractive to him, but somehow
he got rejected when he applied.

Best,
Gene
---

Eugene Y. Park
Korea Foundation Associate Professor of History
Director, James Joo-Jin Kim Program in Korean Studies
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.history.upenn.edu/faculty/park.shtml