[KS] Mein Kampf in Korean

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Jun 22 07:34:01 EDT 2013

Brief note to add to Hana Kim's note (quoted below):

In 1986 I saw a Korean translation in a book store in front of Yonsei U
main gate. That was a 1983 publication (or a later print of the same
edition) by publisher 한그루 (it must have been this publication, I
recall the title image which you see here:
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=sgtzoo&logNo=187172196
--> middle of that page … and also have a look at the photo right
below that). Newer prints are now listed at the Kyobo website. It was
at the time sold "under the table," together with translations of
Marx's Capital, a Lenin biography, and other such classics--and illegal
reprints of Bruce Cumings first volume on the Origins of the Korea War.
Being a little shocked about the Hitler book, when talking to friends
and the young book store owner, who was always in and out of jail at
the time, it became quickly evident that the only reason for that
translation and for selling it was the urge for basic freedom of
thought and information, and no more--a pure reaction, where everything
'forbidden' seemed interesting and worth exploring. Even today, if you
have a closer look at the book cover designs of that Hitler book, e.g.
that one that was posted here earlier, or others that you will find
when doing an image search, it is clear how very remote even the book
jacket designers (the publishers) are from the dirt they publish there:
some look like typical poetry book dust covers, with dreamy bold Comic
Sans or elegant Adobe Garamond. Other jackets remind us more of late
1940s leftist books and/or works about the anti-Japanese resistance
with very similar titles, the title (in Han'gŭl) set in calligraphic
style and in stark red color. Such designer faux pas alone do already
show the remoteness of the entire theme in Korea--or, if you want, the
complete different discourse in which such a "work" is consumed. (Do a
Google image search for the Korean title and you see some of those
examples I just described.)

The Nazis, by the way, paid very much attention to typefaces in later
years--after continuing to use Fraktur, for 300 years the favorite
typeface for newspaper publishers in Germany. In 1940 or 1941 Fraktur
was banned because of its "Jewish origins," replaced by either the new
Germanic font or the more modern looking Antiqua.
As a footnote: If you want to have some fun, the Korean Japanese artist
Towa Tei (정동화) did a beautiful video about the typeface-culture
relation (from the 1990s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rKwBUfzH8

Best,
Frank